Question My heat sink CPU cooler fan sounds like it's about to rattle the case off, Time to replace?

Oct 27, 2019
Ok, for background, for a couple years I've had an issue where if I shut the computer off for awhile, it would sound horrible when I first started it up. But if I let it boot up and shut it off and back on again it was whisper quiet once more, so I didn't think it was a serious issue.

Today however, it started making that sound without me having shut the computer off and sounds much worse. I gave the computer a good hour long rest and let everything cool down, and in that time I clean it pretty well with an air can, made sure the heat sink fan fins in particular were really well cleaned, but it didn't help at all.

If I apply pressure to certain points on the case the sound is a lot better. I have tried tightening every single screw I can find in case something rattled loose, but it did nothing to help either.

I know I need to replace at least one other fan in the case, So now I'm paranoid with another fan giving my problems.

Is it time to just replace the whole heat sink and fan? Did I miss a troubleshooting option? And what do I need to know to make sure I get a compatible fan given that this PC is a few years old now?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
duct tape is your friend. it sounds like the case itself is rattling against itself.
"If I apply pressure to certain points on the case the sound is a lot better "
line the edges of the side/top panels with a strip of tape and see if this small buffer can dampen the noise. if a fan is out of balance, dust or a dust bunny the whole fan becomes a little shaking machine. you can also cut a strip of the duct tape to act as a dampener between the fan and the chassis.

TRENDING THREADS