[SOLVED] My heating problem is EXTREME

JGdude

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
I do not understand why my cpu is hitting such high temperatures. Under stress tests at 100% load, within a minute it already hits 95 degrees, even just opening a video game, the one I tried with core temp in specific is Battlefront II, it's well into high 80's low 90's range. I'm using the stock fan, but also I haven't overclocked the CPU whatsoever. It could be my case fans not supplying enough help. But I even turned my fans ALL THE WAY UP in bios and still to no evail. It's both loud as hell, and apparently hot as hell too.

OS - Windows 10
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3800x
GPU - RTX 2080SUPER
Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
RAM - 32GIG 3200
Case - CORSAIR Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA

I'm also using the default case fans. It's annoying because I tried putting in liquid cooling but I don't think this motherboard supports the H100i, but if it does I would much appreciate help setting it up seeing as though I am having cooling problems lol. Although anything helps at this point, I don't want to literally melt my CPU. I know that 95 degrees is extreme temperatures even for the 3800x, but I'm surprised even at low loads why it's heating up so much so quick. The stock cooler came with thermal paste so it's not that. I've tried reseating the cooler and heat-sink to no prevail. Like I said I put fans to full power. I'm out of any idea that my novice brain can handle. Thanks to anyone who can help. I can also take pictures of the case if needed.

Here's the H100i full name for specifications - Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM

Solution
Front/bottom fans need to push/pull air into the case. Rear/top fans need to push/pull air out of the case. Air goes in one way, heat comes out the other.

No worries on the AIO. If it has an AM4 mounting kit, it fits. It'll fit on Any AM4 motherboard. Or AM3/+, or lga11xx Intel.

The 3800x is an 8core/16thread 105w TDP race engine. Stress tests will use AVX, which is like adding NOS to the mix. And then there's PBO, which will maximize boost, like running that engine on jet fuel. And you wonder at heat output.

Get your fans seated and oriented correctly. I'd suggest you use the aio, it's far better than the stock cooler, even if the stock cooler is pretty decent. The aio has additional fans, that's a bonus for case airflow. Doesn't...
I do not understand why my cpu is hitting such high temperatures. Under stress tests at 100% load, within a minute it already hits 95 degrees, even just opening a video game, the one I tried with core temp in specific is Battlefront II, it's well into high 80's low 90's range. I'm using the stock fan, but also I haven't overclocked the CPU whatsoever. It could be my case fans not supplying enough help. But I even turned my fans ALL THE WAY UP in bios and still to no evail. It's both loud as hell, and apparently hot as hell too.

OS - Windows 10
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3800x
GPU - RTX 2080SUPER
Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
RAM - 32GIG 3200
Case - CORSAIR Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA

I'm also using the default case fans. It's annoying because I tried putting in liquid cooling but I don't think this motherboard supports the H100i, but if it does I would much appreciate help setting it up seeing as though I am having cooling problems lol. Although anything helps at this point, I don't want to literally melt my CPU. I know that 95 degrees is extreme temperatures even for the 3800x, but I'm surprised even at low loads why it's heating up so much so quick. The stock cooler came with thermal paste so it's not that. I've tried reseating the cooler and heat-sink to no prevail. Like I said I put fans to full power. I'm out of any idea that my novice brain can handle. Thanks to anyone who can help. I can also take pictures of the case if needed.

Here's the H100i full name for specifications - Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM
If you have re-seated your cooler, you need to reapply the thermal paste. One application of thermal paste can only be used once for screwing down the cooler. If you have unscrewed the cooler and lifted it off the CPU, you need to apply a new grain of thermal paste. Get a good thermal paste, remove your cooler, clean off the old paste, and apply a rice grain-sized amount of new thermal paste. Any time you remove the cooler, you'll need to clean up the old paste and apply new one.

Reactions: GarrettL

JGdude

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
Check the direction of the fans - i have fixed cooling issues where ppl have their fans all blowing INTO the case - 95deg is extreme temp for sure.
Oml I can't believe my bottom fan is going into my case... I'll fix that problem right away lol. Could that be the only issue that I'm getting, or could something else also be culprit?

I'll be back to respond to see if it fixed shortly!

JGdude

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
If you have re-seated your cooler, you need to reapply the thermal paste. One application of thermal paste can only be used once for screwing down the cooler. If you have unscrewed the cooler and lifted it off the CPU, you need to apply a new grain of thermal paste. Get a good thermal paste, remove your cooler, clean off the old paste, and apply a rice grain-sized amount of new thermal paste. Any time you remove the cooler, you'll need to clean up the old paste and apply new one.
Ahhh okay. I didn't know it was like that. Considering I built the computer around a week ago, I thought that maybe the coolant would last a little longer and maybe under one reapply. I guess I better order some thermal paste and get that going. I really hope that is the issue because my CPU is really hot. Is it possible that thermal paste, or the lack of recent thermal paste in this case, is the only reason my CPU is hitting these temperatures?

Ahhh okay. I didn't know it was like that. Considering I built the computer around a week ago, I thought that maybe the coolant would last a little longer and maybe under one reapply. I guess I better order some thermal paste and get that going. I really hope that is the issue because my CPU is really hot. Is it possible that thermal paste, or the lack of recent thermal paste in this case, is the only reason my CPU is hitting these temperatures?
When you remove the cooler, the thermal paste currently applied becomes useless almost immediately, which is why you always have to replace it. So yeah, I would indeed say there's a good chance the thermal paste is the problem.

Reactions: JGdude

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Front/bottom fans need to push/pull air into the case. Rear/top fans need to push/pull air out of the case. Air goes in one way, heat comes out the other.

No worries on the AIO. If it has an AM4 mounting kit, it fits. It'll fit on Any AM4 motherboard. Or AM3/+, or lga11xx Intel.

The 3800x is an 8core/16thread 105w TDP race engine. Stress tests will use AVX, which is like adding NOS to the mix. And then there's PBO, which will maximize boost, like running that engine on jet fuel. And you wonder at heat output.

Get your fans seated and oriented correctly. I'd suggest you use the aio, it's far better than the stock cooler, even if the stock cooler is pretty decent. The aio has additional fans, that's a bonus for case airflow. Doesn't matter front or top mounted radiator, as long as the fans move air in the right direction. Set it up correctly and use the iCue software to get it working/performing as it should. That means it must be seated correctly, thermal paste done/cleaned correctly, remove the plastic safety tape from the underside of the pump.

With that cooler, even Battlefront shouldn't be seeing temps over 60ish.

Use Ryzen Master to setup the cpu. Windows power plan set to Ryzen Balanced or Microsoft Balanced. Not Performance. Don't worry about idle temps of 40ish to 50ish, that's normal for Ryzens, they don't work like Intels.

Reactions: JGdude
Solution

JGdude

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020

Get your fans seated and oriented correctly. I'd suggest you use the aio, it's far better than the stock cooler, even if the stock cooler is pretty decent. The aio has additional fans, that's a bonus for case airflow. Doesn't matter front or top mounted radiator, as long as the fans move air in the right direction. Set it up correctly and use the iCue software to get it working/performing as it should. That means it must be seated correctly, thermal paste done/cleaned correctly, remove the plastic safety tape from the underside of the pump.

With that cooler, even Battlefront shouldn't be seeing temps over 60ish.

Use Ryzen Master to setup the cpu. Windows power plan set to Ryzen Balanced or Microsoft Balanced. Not Performance. Don't worry about idle temps of 40ish to 50ish, that's normal for Ryzens, they don't work like Intels.
While I couldn't really figure out HOW exactly to set up the cooler, I'll look it up online I guess. From the handbook it showed that there would be screws, or holes for screws right around the CPU. I didn't understand how to use the mount. But like I said I'll try and figure that out.

I already got help with the CPU paste but I do appreciate further input. Although I don't think that stress tests will max out in a minute in a normal set up, let alone to temperatures of 95. I appreciate this support, and in this case I won't have to wait until Saturday to receive my thermal paste lol.

There's a lot of tips here that I'll make use of, and I appreciate all this help. I'm probably going to keep the thread open JUST IN CASE it ends up not being a cooling issue, and the CPU is actually malfunctioning. It's unlikely but I'd rather hedge my bets.

EDIT (from 2 minutes later): I've instead decided to close it because if it ends up being a CPU problem, then it won't be a cooling issue anymore. I appreciate all the help. Yall have a good day!!!