[SOLVED] My Hotmail account is locked ?

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I found my Hotmail tab logged out, and when I tried to log in, it said account is locked, too many attempts to enter wrong password.

It sounds like something might have tried to hack my e-mail.

But they really don't provide good recovery options. The only one clear is to reset the password - one more new password to keep track of.

There is some mention from Google about a possible 'send a code' unlock but it required getting a text, but I don't use a mobile phone.

No option for something like a code to a backup e-mail. Any other ideas, or is this just another new password?

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
..................'send a code' unlock but it required getting a text, I don't use a mobile phone.
No option for something like a code to a backup e-mail.
In that case there's nowhere to send the unlock code to so you'll need to fill out the request form and answer all the questions as best you can. After it's been verified, a code will be sent to the alternate email address you specified.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
In that case there's nowhere to send the unlock code to so you'll need to fill out the request form and answer all the questions as best you can. After it's been verified, a code will be sent to the alternate email address you specified.

But there is no option to fill out questions and send anything to an alternate e-mail. Only reset password.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
But there is no option to fill out questions and send anything to an alternate e-mail. Only reset password.
After you click on "reset password" you should see various options. Because no recovery phones or email has been setup, there should be an option to fill out a password-request form. You'll need to include an email address that's currently active so they can contact you.

Reactions: Grobe and PEnns

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
This is getting weird.

I went back and now it had an option to send a code to an alternate e-mail, which I did.

Then I went to log in to the second e-mail and IT had the same 'locked' problem.

But just trying a couple things it seemed to word but had me on an 'account' page without e-mail.

Then I found an 'Outlook' app button and that loaded mail and I got the code.

OK, good news? I went back to the tab asking for the code. And it got a whole new error:

"We're unable to complete your request
server_error: The contextID supplied in the request did not have a matching cookie"

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
It doesn't seem like a Malware issue, but I have paid Malwarebytes and am running a check now. It's on the last bit and has found zero things.

I don't think it's compromised either - in that cast I'd just get 'wrong password'. Instead I'm getting the 'locked out too many tries with wrong password' meaning no one got in.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Now it's even weirder. I went to try logging in again, and it just immediately opened my e-mail.

I've been worried if I somehow got to a phishing page saying my e-mail was locked to get my password, but it looked real and going directly to hotmail.com got the same error.

No idea.