[SOLVED] My HP Envy x360 (AMD Ryzen 7 3700U) runs hot consistently, regardless of what processes are being performed.

Jun 27, 2020
I began noticing a few months ago that my Envy x360 has been getting very hot consistently, especially while charging and in situations where it really shouldn't be.
Right now as I type, the laptop is on my desk, the vents are unobstructed and have been cleaned, the charger is in, the only application I have open is google Chrome... and the temperature of the CPU is still 55C. And that is on the low end of average temperatures. I left my laptop on my bed while I went to get a drink, with the lid down, on charge and came back to of 84C, which is frankly terrifying and ridiculous.

For reference here are my temps, while idling, according to CPUID: View: https://imgur.com/a/0dW4apj

I have updated my BIOS, I have installed Coolsense (which as far as I can tell does literally nothing), and as I have stated the ventilation ports are clear and clean.

As of yet it has never shut off or failed to boot due to overheating, but given the excessive temperature I am concerned the components will soon become damaged.

I've posted this on the HP Help forums as well because I'm desperate to find a fix for this. This is my work laptop, I don't use it for gaming or even anything graphically intensive, but as it is I'm worried it'll burn itself out or the house down at the rate its going.

Solution
I left my laptop on my bed while I went to get a drink, with the lid down, on charge and came back to of 84C, which is frankly terrifying and ridiculous.
That would have most likely been blocking the intake vents, considering they are on the bottom, and the feet will do nothing to keep it elevated off a soft surface like a bed.

In any case, 84C isn't necessarily out of line for a laptop under load, as many models will operate at those kinds of temperatures. It may throttle back boost clocks somewhat when it gets that hot, but that throttling should keep the processor from reaching temperatures that would damage it. Modern CPUs are generally designed to withstand those kinds of heat levels.

And of course, those are the...
I left my laptop on my bed while I went to get a drink, with the lid down, on charge and came back to of 84C, which is frankly terrifying and ridiculous.
That would have most likely been blocking the intake vents, considering they are on the bottom, and the feet will do nothing to keep it elevated off a soft surface like a bed.

In any case, 84C isn't necessarily out of line for a laptop under load, as many models will operate at those kinds of temperatures. It may throttle back boost clocks somewhat when it gets that hot, but that throttling should keep the processor from reaching temperatures that would damage it. Modern CPUs are generally designed to withstand those kinds of heat levels.

And of course, those are the temperatures inside the CPU chip itself. The cooling hardware will spread that out over a much larger area, so the rest of the hardware shouldn't be reaching those kinds of temperatures, and there probably isn't any significant risk of fire danger due to CPU temperatures.

As for the idle temperatures, 55C seems perfectly fine. A laptop should turn down or even shut off its fans when temperatures are lower, so I wouldn't expect them to get all that much lower than that.

Solution