[SOLVED] My HP Pro 3130 MT doesn't boot after I upgraded the CPU?

Sep 8, 2020
I upgraded cpu i3-550 lga1156 for intel xeon x3450 lga1156 to my HP 3130 mt but after I updated the bios and installed the new processor it doesn't boot.
I checked the specifications on both processors before I bought the new one and both have the same socket.

Last edited:
Solution
I would check your bios version. You may need to downgrade or upgrade. Sometimes processor support is removed, so you may want to try to downgrade first as you usually cannot downgrade after certain newer updates as the manufacturers started locking out downgrades.

Just do this meticulously and methodically, first with your current processor, then swap and try the xeon. If it does not work, swap back to your i3, upgrade to another version and try again.

Do not boot the system without proper thermal paste or heatsink/fan--sometimes this will even cause a prebuilt to not boot. Also, it won't hurt to try booting without any ram. Speaking of ram, that may be the issue if the xeon requires ecc memory.
Does the old processor work? Socket isn't the only thing that determines compatibility--chipset and bios support is also required.

Still, I recall my pro 3130 mt coming with a quadcore xeon so I don't think it should be an issue working. I swapped mine for an i5-680 as it's single thread performance approaches the next generation i5-2500:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-Intel-i5-680-vs-Intel-i5-2500/1289vs771vs803

Reactions: Rupertval
I would check your bios version. You may need to downgrade or upgrade. Sometimes processor support is removed, so you may want to try to downgrade first as you usually cannot downgrade after certain newer updates as the manufacturers started locking out downgrades.

Just do this meticulously and methodically, first with your current processor, then swap and try the xeon. If it does not work, swap back to your i3, upgrade to another version and try again.

Do not boot the system without proper thermal paste or heatsink/fan--sometimes this will even cause a prebuilt to not boot. Also, it won't hurt to try booting without any ram. Speaking of ram, that may be the issue if the xeon requires ecc memory.

Reactions: Rupertval
Solution
Sep 8, 2020
I guess I supposed to try that first.
Install the intel xeon without update the bios maybe that works but I updated the bios before I tried it.
I will look for downgrade the bios and try the intel xeon again, also I will check the memory ram type comes with the computer.
Thank you.

If you don't have any luck with your upgrade, you might keep an eye out. Your system is fairly old now. Especially if you aren't gaming, you might find you can pick up an older office system in good shape for not much money.

For example, my wife's home office computer is a system I bought used from work a couple of years back for 50 bucks with an i7 3770. Upgraded it to 16gb ram, put new thermal paste on the processor, and installed a 480gb ssd as the boot drive, it's running quite happily still.

I did put an evga 600 bronze power supply in there that I had as a spare, but nothing was wrong with the Dell unit that was in it tbh. Either way, just saying that since your system is probably 11-12 years old, if you can even pick up a system that's got something like a 2000 series or better i5 or i7 you could probably carry over some parts.

Sep 8, 2020
I bought it just for browse, email and watch videos on the web. The PC comes with a fresh legal windows 10 installed, 8 gb ram and it works pretty smooth and fast for a old PC, if I upgrade it is gonna be more snappy.
I found this on HP support and is clear about options for upgrade the motherboard on this PC.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...e-Questions/Upgrading-HP-Desktop/td-p/7198882

The intel Xeon line processors are not listed, only the i5 and i7 are listed.
Thank you for assisting me in this upgrade for my old and cheap PC.