[SOLVED] My HWinfo is telling me that the +12v is at 8,272 volt.

Aug 6, 2019
I have had issues that my pc randomly restarts when i start gaming sometimes. So i downloaded HWinfo and at the +12v section it is showing 8.272 volts at idle. Could this be the issue? Do i need a new power supply?

Solution
is it worth it to buy a new power supply? Or do you think that its too old and that its time for an upgrade?
If your PC is shutting down randomly, it is highly likely to be the PSU (not guaranteed, but highly likely)
Regardless, due to it's quality and age (it only has a 3 year warranty which is pretty poor) - I'd recommend getting a new PSU anyway.

Ass remix stated. the CX Corsair line are usually the most budget friendly that are still decent enough quality.
But there are better for a bigger price increase (which in my experience and many others, is always worth it).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What PSU make and model is it exactly?
I highly doubt that is an accurate figure, as at that Voltage I'd expect you to be having several problems also.

Anything outside of 5% +/- is regarded as faulty by today's standards.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello and thanks!
I have a cooler master model no: RS-500-ACAB-B1 500w
So the PSU isn't a good quality model. So it could well be an issue.
But I doubt the voltage readings are correct, as i stated originally and remix added, you'd likely be encountering big issues if that was correct. Are you encountering any issues at all?

Easiest way to properly test is to use a multimeter and manually test each rail - but this only covers idle load.

But regardless, a better quality PSU would always be recommended. How long have you had your unit?

Aug 6, 2019
So the PSU isn't a good quality model. So it could well be an issue.
But I doubt the voltage readings are correct, as i stated originally and remix added, you'd likely be encountering big issues if that was correct. Are you encountering any issues at all?

Easiest way to properly test is to use a multimeter and manually test each rail - but this only covers idle load.

But regardless, a better quality PSU would always be recommended. How long have you had your unit?

Well the pc is starting to get very old, bought it at the start of 2015.
Sometimes while i am playing csgo the pc blacks out and starts right up again, but it happens over and over again if i try to start csgo again. Very annoying.
As i only use it to play csgo (where i get stable and good enough fps) and web browsing, is it worth it to buy a new power supply? Or do you think that its too old and that its time for an upgrade?
Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
is it worth it to buy a new power supply? Or do you think that its too old and that its time for an upgrade?
If your PC is shutting down randomly, it is highly likely to be the PSU (not guaranteed, but highly likely)
Regardless, due to it's quality and age (it only has a 3 year warranty which is pretty poor) - I'd recommend getting a new PSU anyway.

Ass remix stated. the CX Corsair line are usually the most budget friendly that are still decent enough quality.
But there are better for a bigger price increase (which in my experience and many others, is always worth it).

Solution