my i5-7600k keeps hitting 100%

willreale7

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
Recently my i5-7600k has been running at a higher usage percentage than usual. Just sitting on my desktop with nothing open, my cpu is at 60-80%. When I play games however my cpu hits 100% quite frequently, and sometimes my game freezes along with the audio buffering and studdering. When I open task manager, the game I'm playing normally is no more than 50%, and any other apps I have running are less than 10%. The percentages don't add up.

I read other threads and have already tried using process explorer and still got the same results. I also updated the bios on my motherboard, but that didn't help either.

I'm wondering if I need to buy a new cpu or if there is another solution/fix

Build:

intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core
Asus Strix B250F
GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
EVGA - BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Have your tried what yorben_vandyck said it could be malware doing this do a system restore would be my first point of call if that doesn't fix anything then you need to look at your cpu temps and stress test your cpu to see what there like report them back as-well please.

willreale7

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I tried using Malwarebytes. I quarantined all threats, but am still experiencing the same issues. Anything else I could do?

yorben_vandyck

Prominent
Mar 20, 2018

try malwarebytes chameleon maybe it is hidden from the scanner
also what are the processes that give you these high number of usages?

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
First thing do you have this cpu overclocked, also go in to task manager and look at what programs are starting up with windows and disable any that dont need to be running we will see from there.

willreale7

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
the cpu is not overclocked. I went through and disabled any program I didn't need on startup. Still experiencing the same problems, mainly when I am playing games.

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
Have your tried what yorben_vandyck said it could be malware doing this do a system restore would be my first point of call if that doesn't fix anything then you need to look at your cpu temps and stress test your cpu to see what there like report them back as-well please.

Solution