Question my i5 8600k is under preforming

Stelring jones

Commendable
Apr 23, 2019
i have an i5 8600k, 16gb ram, 250gb m.2 with windows on it, and an overclocked gtx 1060 3gb to make my cpu not bottleneck as much. but my question is that my cpu is lacking in the turbo speed of it cause my base is what it should be awt 3.6 ghz but my boost is only hitting about 4 ghz of the 4.3 that it should be at and i was wondering if that is an effect of a bottle neck from my gpu or if it was a faulty cpu or if there is anything i can do to fix this because when doing a user bench mark pc test it is saying that the 8600k is preforming in the bottom 20% and 7% under where i should be due to the turbo lacking. and im up for sugestions on how to fix it.

What motherboard do you have? Some cheaper motherboards wont have the power delivery to keep up with the boost clock. The 8600k has a single core turbo of 4.3ghz, but the all core turbo is at 4.1. So this may be why you are not seeing 4.3.

20% is not that low for userbenchmark because everyone is overclocking that chip. If you have a z board, then go into your bios and the frequency multiplier to 43. That will probably be stable at stock voltage and will set the all core clock speed to 4.3ghz.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Stelring jones

Commendable
Apr 23, 2019
What motherboard do you have? Some cheaper motherboards wont have the power delivery to keep up with the boost clock. The 8600k has a single core turbo of 4.3ghz, but the all core turbo is at 4.1. So this may be why you are not seeing 4.3.

20% is not that low for userbenchmark because everyone is overclocking that chip. If you have a z board, then go into your bios and the frequency multiplier to 43. That will probably be stable at stock voltage and will set the all core clock speed to 4.3ghz.
i have the z370 gaming plus MSI. and is that an overclock in the bios setting the multiplier to 43, cause i am not really wanting to overclock the cpu rn.

i have the z370 gaming plus MSI. and is that an overclock in the bios setting the multiplier to 43, cause i am not really wanting to overclock the cpu rn.

Your userbenchmark score is fine. While you are at 27%, that is because you are running at stock speeds and probably 70%ish are running userbenchmark with a overclocked CPU. So that will put your score at a disadvantage. As rdg1101 said, your scores are within 10% of everyone else. That is just the difference an overclock will make.

Moving the multipler to 4.3 is an overclock, but it is an extremely mild overclock as you are just matching the single core turbo. As long as your CPU stays cool, running that chip at 4.3ghz will not affect the longevity of the CPU.

Your PSU is not great quality, but it should sustain your system. If you get a highend GPU that pulls more power, I would get a better quality PSU to go with it.