kozato

Commendable
May 19, 2017
I just updated my system:
Gigabyte Z370 XP SLI
i5 9600k @ stock
16GB memory
GTX 1080

My GPU and CPU are both cooled by a custom loop, with a 240mm and a 360mm radiator. This should be far more than enough, yet when running a prime 95 test, it takes a few seconds before spikes to 100c, and temperatures staying in the high 80s to 90s. I'm confused what's going wrong. If I missed crucial information, let me know.

Solution

Supahos,

That's actually 600mm of cooling field, but yes you're right; there could be a more basic cooling problem. Nevertheless, the Prime95 version definitely matters.

For example, ambient temperature becomes a huge variable when users don't tell us they live on the Equator at 40°C without air conditioning. If no one asks, we proceed on false assumptions.

While non-AVX version 26.6 is a true 100% workload, later versions such as 27.7 through 29.4 will overload any processor with AVX2 Instruction Sets to nearly 130%, which imposes a...

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Which VERSION of Prime95?

Which torture test did you run?

What was your Core voltage during the test?

What was your ambient (room) temperature?

CT :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Supahos,

That's actually 600mm of cooling field, but yes you're right; there could be a more basic cooling problem. Nevertheless, the Prime95 version definitely matters.

For example, ambient temperature becomes a huge variable when users don't tell us they live on the Equator at 40°C without air conditioning. If no one asks, we proceed on false assumptions.

While non-AVX version 26.6 is a true 100% workload, later versions such as 27.7 through 29.4 will overload any processor with AVX2 Instruction Sets to nearly 130%, which imposes a brutal workload beyond any other test utility. Moreover, users have reported abnormally high "Auto" or "Adaptive" Vcore that was corrected with a BIOS flash. High Vcore combined with AVX can increase power consumption by over 25%, which in turn can increase Core temperatures by an unrealistic 20°C higher than version 26.6.

Intel tests their processors at a steady 100% TDP workload to validate Thermal Specifications. Prime95 version 26.6 Small FFT's is ideal for CPU thermal testing, because it's a steady 100% workload with steady Core temperatures. No other utility so closely replicates Intel's workload test conditions.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal tests (steady workloads) and stability tests (fluctuating workloads) according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

All tests will show 100% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, which indicates processor resource activity, not % TDP workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power dissipation (Watts), which is driven by workload. Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT’s provides a true and steady 100% workload, so if Core temperatures are below 85°C, then your processor should run the most demanding real-world workloads without overheating.

Any post that mentions testing with "Prime95" but doesn't specify which version, automatically needs to be verified so we don't overlook the obvious. Prime95 version, as well as ambient temperature, are high profile variables that always need to be included on the checklist as a matter of troubleshooting protocol. It also needs to be established whether the user is running an AVX offset with a later version of Prime95.

Since there's so many hardware, software and environmental variables involved, it's important to eliminate the more common possibilities right up front in order to simplify troubleshooting so we aren't misled.

Another factor to consider is thermal dissipation. Although the 9600K has a soldered IHS, 9th Gen is nowhere near as efficient as 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge and earlier soldered processors. The 9600K still runs hot due to Intel's increased thicknesses of the 9th Gen Die and the solder. Delidding the 9600K only drops Core temperatures by about 6°C. The 8600K is essentially identical but runs hotter as it's not soldered. Delidding the 8600K typically drops Core temperatures about 20°C. Here's how they compare:

8600K Stock - Hotter
9600K Stock - Hot
9600K Delid - Warmer
8600K Delid - Warm

Even though the 9600K is soldered, it's still a relatively hot processor.

Solution

kozato

Commendable
May 19, 2017

Supahos,

While non-AVX version 26.6 is a true 100% workload, later versions such as 27.7 through 29.4 will overload any processor with AVX2 Instruction Sets to nearly 130%, which imposes a brutal workload beyond any other test utility. Moreover, users have reported abnormally high "Auto" or "Adaptive" Vcore that was corrected with a BIOS flash. High Vcore combined with AVX can increase power consumption by over 25%, which in turn can increase Core temperatures by an unrealistic 20°C higher than version 26.6.

Intel tests their processors at a steady 100% TDP workload to validate Thermal Specifications. Prime95 version 26.6 Small FFT's is ideal for CPU thermal testing, because it's a steady 100% workload with steady Core temperatures. No other utility so closely replicates Intel's workload test conditions.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal tests (steady workloads) and stability tests (fluctuating workloads) according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

All tests will show 100% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, which indicates processor resource activity, not % TDP workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power dissipation (Watts), which is driven by workload. Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT’s provides a true and steady 100% workload, so if Core temperatures are below 85°C, then your processor should run the most demanding real-world workloads without overheating.

Any post that mentions testing with "Prime95" but doesn't specify which version, automatically needs to be verified so we don't overlook the obvious. Prime95 version, as well as ambient temperature, are high profile variables that always need to be included on the checklist as a matter of troubleshooting protocol. It also needs to be established whether the user is running an AVX offset with a later version of Prime95.

Since there's so many hardware, software and environmental variables involved, it's important to eliminate the more common possibilities right up front in order to simplify troubleshooting so we aren't misled.

Another factor to consider is thermal dissipation. Although the 9600K has a soldered IHS, 9th Gen is nowhere near as efficient as 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge and earlier soldered processors. The 9600K still runs hot due to Intel's increased thicknesses of the 9th Gen Die and the solder. Delidding the 9600K only drops Core temperatures by about 6°C. The 8600K is essentially identical but runs hotter as it's not soldered. Delidding the 8600K typically drops Core temperatures about 20°C. Here's how they compare:

8600K Stock - Hotter
9600K Stock - Hot
9600K Delid - Warmer
8600K Delid - Warm

Even though the 9600K is soldered, it's still a relatively hot processor.

I completely forgot about this thread for a while because my temps actually went back to normal. sorry to revive this, but suddenly I'm having the same issues as before. Okay, so to answer the info needed:

my prime 95 version is windows 64 v29.4 build 8
my voltage offset is 1.31, overclocked to 4.9GHz
I have no AVX setting applied whatsoever
when running prime 95 my power usage spikes to over 170W, then throttles down as it overheats. I'm confused as to why its doing it again. I simply haven't been stressing my CPU recently and stopped noticing overheating as a result, but avoiding the issue isn't going to solve it for me. I also re applied thermal paste, Kryonaut. I re-mounted the cpu block and all seems good.

kozato

Commendable
May 19, 2017

Which VERSION of Prime95?

Which torture test did you run?

What was your Core voltage during the test?

What was your ambient (room) temperature?

Sorry for being so unspecific before, As per my last reply, My prime 95 is windows 64 v29.4 build 8. I did the first test in the list, being Small FFts (maximum heat). I know that's obviously why my CPU is getting so hot, but surely my loop should be able to handle it? My ambient room temperature is nothing abnormal. Around 20c, rarely changes. My voltage is set to 1.32 but not fixed and fluctuates.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
If you meant that you' don't have an AVX "offset" applied, then Prime95 verion 29.4 will apply a full AVX workload, which is nearly 130% TDP at stock settings. It of course scales up accordingly with any overclock.

Intel validates TDP and thermal specifications "without AVX".

Version 26.6 is a true 100% TDP workload. If you haven't yet tried it, I suggest that you check it out. As before, run Small FFT's. Let's see what you get.

Last edited: