Question My i7-10750H GL65 Leopard cpu gaming laptop getting very hot on load and idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2020
Hello, I just bought a MSI i7-10750H GL65 Leopard gtx 2070 16gb ddr4 gaming laptop 2 days ago and Ive spoken to several people, intel support and msi support and fries electronics tech support and everyone says something different. My problem is when I have my laptop on high or medium setting for performance my idle temp goes between 40-70s and under load streaming on twitch and playing CSGO counter-strike global offensive and starcraft brood war it spikes up to 84-95c I did a intel processor diagnostic tool stress test as was recommended by intel and during the test I passed everything but I saw my max temp reached 99 during 100% load I was told by intel support "that seems very high for a brand new laptop" I was also told by MSI these laptops run hot and its very normal to even go to high 90s under load while playing games but then I called back to get a 2nd opinion and I was told 99 during full load stress test is high. I was also told by frys electronic tech this cpu throttles at 100-105 and high 90s is perfectly normal I really don't know who to believe can someone please help me. I would really appreciate if multiple people give me there opinion so I can make a better judgement. I spent $1400 on this laptop and I want to make sure its running right. I did two stress test one intel stress test and one prime95 both max temp reached 99 but never over also when I put my performance setting on low I do not go above 70c in temp but everything is choppy and unplayable even youtube videos lag and cut in and out lol... so it is useless for me to use low I must use high or medium and I didn't notice much of a change in high or medium in temps... Help me out guys ! Thanks =) oh and I left fan settings at auto when I put it on cooler boost max fan I only noticed a decrease in temp by 2-3c.... Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you so much

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, they are all right; 90s is normal for this under load. A laptop of this caliber really should have the cpu and gpu on separate heatsinks, not shared, but you're not going to get that with 1400USD.

The 10750H has a critical limit of 100C: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Are you providing elevation for the back end of the laptop? It's for the vents beneath the unit.

When you check load thermals via hwinfo... looking at core max temps: Is the difference between the hottest and coolest cores 10C or less? That is normal behavior according to Intel.
If it's over that, then it's likely a poor paste application.

Dec 1, 2020
So after 2 hours of streaming on twitch under streamlabs obs and playing csgo here are my temps my max temps were in the 90s going as high as 99 and my value temps at idle were in the high 50s I am using high performance setting and I do not have the laptop back portion elevated it is just sitting flat on my computer desk and theres two vents in the back of the laptop that blows out hot air. I will attach a photo of temps the value temps reached around 75-85+ when i was playing csgo and streaming at same time and the max temps reached 99 under 75-85% cpu load.... what do you think about this is it normal or should I worry and send the laptop back.... here is image of my temps one of the msi techs said as long as it doesn't go over 100, 99c is normal under load but if you look at picture i took of temps load was not very high while streaming and playing csgo but some of my cores reached 99 =( https://ibb.co/QfjYCfx please check my temps with this image. thank you

I suspect support is going to look at this as, '"well, it throttles to avoid technically overheating. so....it's working as designed and 'within spec'....enjoy your product!"

YOu might try tinkering with assorted clock speeds with Intel's XTU, it might be worth to knock 100-200 MHz off the all-core turbo speeds to try to keep the temps below 90C....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I do not have the laptop back portion elevated it is just sitting flat on my computer desk and theres two vents in the back of the laptop that blows out hot air.
That's really not enough for the hardware inside that machine - that's why I said to elevate it.

It LOOKS like it's behaving normally, as the hottest and coolest cores are within 10C of each other - but some of them did hit the throttle limit, so hard to say.

Windows Search > Edit Power Plan > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.
Change it to 97% and check thermals again. I want to make sure the cooler and paste are applied correctly - couldn't really determine that because of the cores that hit critical limit.

Dec 1, 2020
ok thank you I just set it to 97% what will setting it to 97% do? Also do you think if I buy a cooling pad and elevated that way with the fans blowing air from the cooling pad is it worth buying you think it can make the cpu cooler? thanks guys

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The lower power limit will make it draw less power overall and let it run a little cooler. I'd like to see a load scenario where no cores are throttling.
If 97% still throttles, then do 95%.

You don't even need to buy a cooling pad. I'm sure you could manage something around the house to elevate the back of the laptop with.
The fans that come on those pads don't do as much for cooling as the actual elevation itself. They're just an excuse to raise the price.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For crying out loud...
Inferno Lake, indeed. The difference between your first ibb image and this new one is almost 20w! That's alot for a laptop, by the way.

How's the performance though? Depending on how much the power limit is reduced, it could impact that.

Dec 1, 2020
It works great ! Thank you so much Phaaze88 you knew better the intel techs and msi techs! You are a genius! How did you come up with this information? The laptops performance is great! and never goes above 75... So doing this %97 does not effect the laptop in negative way except lowering the performance a little? Thank you!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I learned this from other 'blazing hot' laptop threads.

I'm saying that it can affect performance if you lower the max power limit too much. I don't know how much is too much for that cpu.
Let's say you set it to 90%. That's too low for many cpus and will likely show a loss in performance.
But something like 97-98%, shouldn't even be noticeable, while yielding much better thermals.

Dec 1, 2020
Hi its been great on lower cpu intensive games but games that require a lot of performance I notice fps drops but I don't have any problem with it and its been running great and not getting the laptop hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS