Question My i7-6700k has 100% CPU usage when Idling.

Sep 15, 2019
Hi there,
For the past few weeks, I have noticed that my Computer has 100% CPU usage when idling. My computer has not slowed down, and doesn't have any problems while playing games. The most demanding process changes alot, but it is usually Task Manager or File Explorer using around 40 to 50 percent.

I have searched online and have looked at solutions, but they have not worked for me.

I have scanned my Computer while in safe mode with Malware bytes to see if I there is any malware or root kits, but all the scans have come back clean.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
look carefully at task manager, your chosen AV , and the WIndows update menu to see if perhaps anything is being downloaded in the background...

Install HWMonitor to see what temps/clock speeds are being hit during the 100% utilization periods...

With no browser open, and nothing updates/indexing/background AV scans or cloud syncs occurring, my 7700K normally hovers at 1-2% CPU usage and 3 cores at 800-1000 MHz, with the occasional core hitting 2-3 GHz, etc.......

Reactions: Brug
I will check the paste. Thanks for responding.
It could just be a windows background task that just need to finish running. I forgot what it was called but there was a .net framework process that used to run after updating Windows 7 and 8 that took a long time to process, but once it finished it never ran again.

Have you check the CPU temperature yet while it's 100%?

Reactions: Brug
Sep 15, 2019
It could just be a windows background task that just need to finish running. I forgot what it was called but there was a .net framework process that used to run after updating Windows 7 and 8 that took a long time to process, but once it finished it never ran again.

Have you check the CPU temperature yet while it's 100%?
I have checked the temperature of the CPU and it is 39°C when idling .

Last edited: