[SOLVED] My i7 7700k runs idle at 80c and sometimes idle at 90 but in game goes to 100c

YokelBurg

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017
It does not under perform significantly and the cooling is adequate, it has been cleaned and also has new thermal paste. The cooling is a noctua fan which was built to cool high end cpus. I have no idea what the problem could be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You mentioned a Noctua fan, but,...heat sinks matter. Is it a large/double stack Noctua heatsink? Or a tiny Intel heatsink from a 65W CPU with a Noctua fan aimed at it? :)

Install/run HWMonitor

Then install/run CPU-Z/Bench/stress CPU

Note on HWMonitor what clock speeds are achieved on all 4 cores ...

(Stop CPU stress test afterward)

4200 MHz would be stock operation, whereas all cores at 4500 MHz would imply MCE of some type is enabled, still not normally a cause of overheating on most 7700K model; mine holds only 65C at all cores 4700 MHz for gaming loads/ and CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu
You mentioned a Noctua fan, but,...heat sinks matter. Is it a large/double stack Noctua heatsink? Or a tiny Intel heatsink from a 65W CPU with a Noctua fan aimed at it? :)

Install/run HWMonitor

Then install/run CPU-Z/Bench/stress CPU

Note on HWMonitor what clock speeds are achieved on all 4 cores ...

(Stop CPU stress test afterward)

4200 MHz would be stock operation, whereas all cores at 4500 MHz would imply MCE of some type is enabled, still not normally a cause of overheating on most 7700K model; mine holds only 65C at all cores 4700 MHz for gaming loads/ and CPU-Z/bench/stress cpu

Solution

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
while it might not be the same issue as yours, I remember running into this problem years ago with my i7 2600k.

You already ensured the thermal was applied correctly (that was issue 1 for me), second issue was the heatsink I had was inadequate, combined with a hot room in general and my computer exhaust too close to the wall it made things kinda bad.

So I replaced the standard heatsink with a hyper 212 evo and I saw improvement (my computer was not shutting off from overheating). Next I checked my case fans to make sure they were facing the right direction, turns out I mounted my intake fans wrong so I fixed that. went from a constant 75-80c idle down to a 45-50c idle.

That's what worked for me back then, perhaps you are in the same situation.