Question My i7-7820HK doesn't regulate it's clocks while idle and gaming, causing high temps

Oct 2, 2019
Hi, my i7-7820HK is causing me some trouble, as far as making it painful to touch the keyboard. For almost two years I used the High performance power plan and my CPU always got really hot. I will use Battlefield 4 with everything on ultra running on the balanced Power plan as an example here, but the problem persists through the entire system. Usually I run all my games capped with RTSS at 60fps, but for the purpose of testing I also disabled it. I cleaned my Laptop half a year ago and replaced the thermal paste, which resulted in a small temp improvement for a few weeks. Now its long gone, but I am cetain its not related to dust building up/airflow/etc. I have my CPU running on a -0.1V core offset, and I have all Intel features I know of, like Turbo boost, enabled. My laptop is also equipped with a GTX 1070, but its not running as an optimus system. The 1070 is running as a discrete card, with the iGPU from the CPU disabled. I also checked multiple times that minimum and maximum processor states are not messed up in the power plans, and also tried to use my own plans instead of the default ones, with no success.

Balanced Power plan while Bf4 (in these brackets only Chrome running) [in these brackets capped at 60fps]:
Temp: ~96C (~51C)[~96C]
Usage: ~75% (>5%)[~70%]
Freq: ~3.2GHz / fluctuates between 3.0GHz and 3.4GHz (2.9GHz / jumps every few secs to 3.6GHz)[3.5GHz sometimes dips to 3.4GHz for a sec]
Power consumption: 28W (13W)[28W]
FPS: ~100fps average / ~70fps when there is a lot going on[60fps all the time]

Power saver Power plan while Bf4 (in these brackets only Chrome running) [in these brackets capped at 60fps]:
Temp: ~74C (~44C)[~75C]
Usage: ~67% (>5%)[~65%]
Freq: 1.6GHz (jumps between 1.2GHz and 1.3GHz)[1.6GHz]
Power consumption: 10W (12W (yeah, tested this multiple times, wtf))[9W]
FPS: ~60fps average / ~45fps when there is a lot going on[60fps 85% of the time, dips down to ~45fps]

As far as I know, the CPU shouldnt have to push 3.5GHz all the time, as most of the time even 1.6GHz is enough. This is important to me because the keyboard can get painfull to touch.
Now to my question: Is there a way to let the CPU change its freq according to the situation, without always pushing to 3.5GHz while gaming, when its not needed. I assume Speedstep is designed to do that, but apperently it doesnt work. Any other solutions or thoughts are also appreciated, and I will make sure to answer quickly. Thank you for reading this and trying to help me :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019
Don't use the High Performance plan. That will keep the CPU at boost speeds.

You are overriding all the power saving features using that.
Oh, I wrote something wrong. I was playing with the high pperformance plan, but did the testing with the balanced plan, and its the exact same thing as the high performance one. Im gonna edit that right now

Seems to me that you may need to clean or ask someone (who knows how to deal with this) to clean fans, heatsink, etc. and maybe reapply thermal paste.

Try to avoid High Performance Plan, and don't obstruct your laptops airflow by placing it on uneven surfaces like a pillow, blanket, etc.