[SOLVED] My i7-7900k keeps throttling. Why?

Mar 25, 2020
My brand new build (sub 1 week old) is having an issue. Occasionally while I'm playing my cpu fans will start cranking to max and my cpu will lock up my system throttling to 100 percent.
Specs are as follows:
I77900k
Asus prime A
16gb ram
750w ps
780ti
Many cooling fans.
2 brand new ssd's nothing previously on them 1.5Tb

Why would this be happening I play games and stream occassionally?

Solution
Not ideal setup for an air cooler indeed. Ideally, two intake fans, and rear exhaust to keep air pressure and move air in a singular direction. Using the psu as an exhaust is not proper, the electronics inside it wont last long in that environment.

I recommend getting two intake fans and reconfigure you're cooling. As is, the case is most likely becoming an oven, as in, air is not moving properly. If can't install in take fans, then a new case is needed. Or open the case and blow a desk fan toward it.
Mar 25, 2020
Seems like inadequate cooling to me and cpu is overheating.

What are you cooling the cpu with and what's your ambient temperature?

Also what case do you have and fan configuration?

Check cpu temperature with Coretemp.
Thanks, I'm I'm using the recommended cooler i cant remember the exact name but maybe I didnt apply the thermal paste correctly.
Ambient temp
Seems like inadequate cooling to me and cpu is overheating.

What are you cooling the cpu with and what's your ambient temperature?

Also what case do you have and fan configuration?

Check cpu temperature with Coretemp.
So I have a cool master, my ambient temp is 23 c
I re arranged my fans and my cooler so that I have intake in the back, active exhaust through the PS in the bottom, and passive exhaust vent in the top. Everything seemed to have leveled out for now but if the problem arises again I will come back. Thanks for the diagnosis.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not ideal setup for an air cooler indeed. Ideally, two intake fans, and rear exhaust to keep air pressure and move air in a singular direction. Using the psu as an exhaust is not proper, the electronics inside it wont last long in that environment.

I recommend getting two intake fans and reconfigure you're cooling. As is, the case is most likely becoming an oven, as in, air is not moving properly. If can't install in take fans, then a new case is needed. Or open the case and blow a desk fan toward it.

Solution
those with actual 'throttle' issues should be able to observe temps climb to 100C, and then subsequent clock speeds reduced..

It seems possible that with terms/phrases like 'throttle to 100%' ,the perhaps term might even be misused by those confusing it with 100% cpu usage in task manager?

To the OP: what are your clock speeds, and temps as reported under HWMonitor?

Have correct X299 chipset drivers been installed?

Does system pass Memtest86?

Was this build a fresh full install, or a reboot with new hardware from a previous installation?

Being an Asus mainboard, I'd also get into the BIOS, and make sure MCE is NOT enabled.....as you clearly are having issues, and, attempting to run all 10 cores at max turbo (as MCE is prone to do) will not help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gang Sabre