Question my i7 9700k is getting 100% cpu usage and freezes computer or drops fps in games

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
ive built my computer like a year ago and it was good at first every game was running pretty normal and noticed minecraft took 80% minimum cpu usage and i know minecraft is mainly just cpu based but it was a bit extreme and i overtime things just got worse..... csgo would drop average frames and so would rainbow but also my cpu usage increased by a lot. For example.... rainbow would be stuck an a minumum of 60% cpu usage and opther things like google chrome would randomly spike up and come at 40% and it would max out my cpu causes my game to fluster down to like 50 fps and just jump up and down for a couple seconds until my cpu stabilizes. also in csgo but its in every game and even when i have just chrome open itll randomly go to 60% and somthing else would bump up to 40% like discord and then they will both go back to normal and recently my pc will randomly freeze completely for 5 seconds and will be back to normal and also games dont feel as smooth like hz wise my monitor supports 144 and it doesnt really feel smooth like it use to also in my task manger anyhting at the top of the list will have "very high" power usage like somtimes it would say discord would have very high cpu usage and things below it would idle at high or medium. Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k4ysHh . Please help this has been going on for a month know and idk how to fix it

You have a very good setup but make sure you have the latest BIOS or the best BIOS (Asus Forums for your Hero motherboard should be able to tell you the best stable BIOS version).

Also a Windows update was causing issues of high CPU usuage, worth taking a look:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Also check your 'Task Manager' to see if any processes are causing issues like high CPU usage. I like to disable as many non important programs from starting up so also check 'Start Up' whilst in Task Manager.

Finally as boju has said a clean Windows install should do the trick....

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
You have a very good setup but make sure you have the latest BIOS or the best BIOS (Asus Forums for your Hero motherboard should be able to tell you the best stable BIOS version).

Also a Windows update was causing issues of high CPU usuage, worth taking a look:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-windows-10-build-update-can-cause-high-cpu-activity.html

Also check your 'Task Manager' to see if any processes are causing issues like high CPU usage. I like to disable as many non important programs from starting up so also check 'Start Up' whilst in Task Manager.

Finally as boju has said a clean Windows install should do the trick....
ok will do im gonna just reinstall windows lol

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
so update i completely reinstalled windows and the spike in cpu usage takes a lot longer to come up and i only get a spike like that like once every 2 hours or so but games are still taking up quit a bit of usage when it shouldn't