Question my i7 9700k is getting 100% cpu usage and freezes computer or drops fps in games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
ive built my computer like a year ago and it was good at first every game was running pretty normal and noticed minecraft took 80% minimum cpu usage and i know minecraft is mainly just cpu based but it was a bit extreme and i overtime things just got worse..... csgo would drop average frames and so would rainbow but also my cpu usage increased by a lot. For example.... rainbow would be stuck an a minumum of 60% cpu usage and opther things like google chrome would randomly spike up and come at 40% and it would max out my cpu causes my game to fluster down to like 50 fps and just jump up and down for a couple seconds until my cpu stabilizes. also in csgo but its in every game and even when i have just chrome open itll randomly go to 60% and somthing else would bump up to 40% like discord and then they will both go back to normal and recently my pc will randomly freeze completely for 5 seconds and will be back to normal and also games dont feel as smooth like hz wise my monitor supports 144 and it doesnt really feel smooth like it use to also in my task manger anyhting at the top of the list will have "very high" power usage like somtimes it would say discord would have very high cpu usage and things below it would idle at high or medium. Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k4ysHh . Please help this has been going on for a month know and idk how to fix it
_
i had made another post and i did everything they told me to do even completely re installing windows and i have the same problem and everyhting just uses high cpu usage and very high power usage

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
okay sorry that i haven't been posting but i think my motherboard is at fault because i tried playing halo with a ps4 controller with Bluetooth and the distance was very bad like i had to have it up to the glass for it to stay connected not even an joke i cant get even get 4 inches away without it having maxed out latency. and also when i try auto overclocking my cpu with he motherboard option it blue screens

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/a10gxz/8700k_better_than_9700k_at_multitasking/

found this reddit thread where people are having similar (look a bit lower down, they start talking about microstuttering and frame drops in games near the end) Part of the issue is that the 9700k seems to be a bit worse in multitasking because it has 4 fewer threads than the 8700k which would lead to more cpu usage when there are fewer resources to spread across the cpu.
Security patches may be playing a part here but I highly doubt that it would handicap your cpu. (Although it seems that the timeframe where you started taking performance hits is a bit similar to when more microcode patches came out)
well the thing is tired an i5 8600k and it was the same exact issue

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
okay sorry that i haven't been posting but i think my motherboard is at fault because i tried playing halo with a ps4 controller with Bluetooth and the distance was very bad like i had to have it up to the glass for it to stay connected not even an joke i cant get even get 4 inches away without it having maxed out latency. and also when i try auto overclocking my cpu with he motherboard option it blue screens . ** i have a previous thread if you wanna see what other people said but itd old so i need to post a new one* https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...eezes-computer-or-drops-fps-in-games.3539360/

cycle motion

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
i just dont know what to do i have insanely high cpu usage and its disgusting and i can do anything about it ive reset my pc and a lot of other stuff so please somone just help casue i havent been able to figure it out
unknown.png

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k4ysHh
i should be able to play the game without it lagging and getting random fps spikes like it doesn't make sense im gonna try to just reinstall windows completely
VTSoNqHYaA.png

Taskmgr_154JYugmKi.png

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Move Chrome & Discord to the least busiest core, try the last core, using affinity in Windows task manager for the program's process. We'll see how you go when the primary core is freed up more.

Fyi, most simple programs run on core 0, hogging the most critical core and can restrict addressing the rest efficiently if other programs are threaded. Because 8700k has two threads each core, instructions on the primary core isn't delayed as much. Forget 8600k/9600k.

Status
Not open for further replies.