[SOLVED] my i7 9750h runs kinda hot!!!

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
Please keep it to 1 thread
i have used intel xtu to undervolt the cpu to -.125 and i set the turbo boost down to 35 watts but the good thing is the cpu core clock pretty much stays at 3988 mhz dont know how but it does. still trying dif settings to cool this monster cpu down. any suggestions?? temps right now go from 85c to 95c sometimes lower.

Solution
is there any other ways to get the laptop to run cooler? i also have a program to use called alienware command center. i just dont want to use programs like xtu or throttlestop.
Any more tweaks, and it's going to cut into the cpu's performance... if you've managed to get cpu temps below 95C, it should be fine.
-undervolting
-using a cooling pad
-setting fps caps
-98% max processor state

Operating temps in a gaming laptop are in a different league from desktops.
There's a limit to what can be accomplished by cramming high end cpus and gpus into such a tiny package without making said package weigh like a full tower chassis...

Gaming laptops go against what the laptop was originally designed for: light, cool, and portable; work...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The reason it does it because it isn't temperature sensitive; that cpu doesn't care how hot it's running, except for the critical limit at 100C.
It could hit 98C and STILL be running at 4.0ghz. Sub 90C isn't unusual in laptops - correction, gaming laptops.

Already using a cooling pad?

Do you set fps limits in game? When you don't, that's like telling the cpu to go all out to produce as many frames as it can...

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
The reason it does it because it isn't temperature sensitive; that cpu doesn't care how hot it's running, except for the critical limit at 100C.
It could hit 98C and STILL be running at 4.0ghz. Sub 90C isn't unusual in laptops - correction, gaming laptops.

Already using a cooling pad?

Do you set fps limits in game? When you don't, that's like telling the cpu to go all out to produce as many frames as it can...
yes on the cooling pad, and no i did not cap the frame rate, should i??

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
i have a new dell g7 7590 laptop with a i7 9750h cpu, rtx 2070 max q video card, i heard that pretty much all gaming laptops get very hot. if i leave all my settings at stock this thing pegs 100c. if i use intel xtu and down clock the wattages to 35w and 40w short power boost. i get decent temps and good frame rates. with the wattage changes im getting like 85c to 90c much better. does anyone have any tips or suggestions?? also when i leave these wattage settings i do get power limit throttling. but i dont think thats a big deal.

Last edited:

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
i have a new dell g7 7590 laptop, specs are, intel i7 9750h cpu, rtx 2070 max q video card, 16gb of ddr4, ssd drive. when playing games my temps get pretty high at times, actually most of the time. gets up to 100c, i know most gaming laptops run hot. is there any way to bring these temps down without using throttle stop or intel xtu. those two programs are having issues due to intel and and others changing the bios on laptops. i really like the laptop other than the temp issues. someone please help, thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
is there any other ways to get the laptop to run cooler? i also have a program to use called alienware command center. i just dont want to use programs like xtu or throttlestop.
Any more tweaks, and it's going to cut into the cpu's performance... if you've managed to get cpu temps below 95C, it should be fine.
-undervolting
-using a cooling pad
-setting fps caps
-98% max processor state

Operating temps in a gaming laptop are in a different league from desktops.
There's a limit to what can be accomplished by cramming high end cpus and gpus into such a tiny package without making said package weigh like a full tower chassis...

Gaming laptops go against what the laptop was originally designed for: light, cool, and portable; work on the go.
If they're not making bigger and heavier gaming laptops, then they're crippling the power limits, which cut into performance, to keep the hardware from turning into an inferno.

Solution