[SOLVED] My idea to use the computer more smarter by OS

shaharhada

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
I have an idea that it interesting me if it exist in the computer-market.
I thinks that data that not used can be compressed by several ways:
  1. For example, when we use a browser and we have a long document that we want to save for other time in the future, we can press on a button the webpage/document will be compressed.
  2. To this operating by smart Artificial Intellgence. So, when we not use a program or a data, it will be compressed in the memory.
*note: I think to do this we can add a hardware that do it, without using software.
Question: What are you thinking about my ideas?
There are programs that do it? (Especially a browser that operate in way #1)?

Solution
  1. For example, when we use a browser and we have a long document that we want to save for other time in the future, we can press on a button the webpage/document will be compressed.
  2. To this operating by smart Artificial Intellgence. So, when we not use a program or a data, it will be compressed in the memory.
*note: I think to do this we can add a hardware that do it, without using software.
I think it was relevant in the 1980s and 1990s. Hardware...

kanewolf

Titan
I think it was relevant in the 1980s and 1990s. Hardware resources have far exceeded typical uses. Storage space is not a limiting factor in 99.9% of use-cases. In the cases that do benefit, compression is already a standard. H265 for video for example.

Solution
In addition to the above post that storage amount is way over the needs to try to compress things, the compression in the OS that was added had issues with crashing and making systems and files becoming inaccessible. No need to add extra complexity to something that does not have any practical benefit and has an extra point of failure.