Question My Intel 13700 benchmark in Cinebench R23 and CPU-Z is less than half what it should be ?

Jul 2, 2023
Hi everyone, I need your help!

I have built a pc using cpu i13700(non-k), ASRock z790 steel legend mb, asus tuf gpu 3060, and Thermaltake PSU 850w tough gf1 which run on windows 11.

The pc somehow slower than I expect in Apex legends, so I have benchmark my CPU using CPU-Z, Cinebench R23

The result of single core is likely to be normal (CPU-Z around 820-830, Cinebench around 1900), however the multicore score are 8000-9000 for CPU-Z and 17000-18000 for Cinebench R23 (normally the Cinebench R23 should be around 25-29 k)

I have try intel XTU and found that during bench the power limit throttling is activate when package temp get to around 70 degree C which I though it was due to CPU temp, so I change the heatsink from thermalright peerless assassin to liquid cooler instead the temp drop around 10 degree. However when I have try to bench I saw the same thing that it was throttling at temp around 60.

I have try multiple way that other suggest including PL1, PL2 setting, power setting, voltage reduction, set the Cinebench to high priority, but nothing works.

I’m quite at bit confuse of what would be a cause of this and changing part around cost a lot of money. Have anyone experience this before or know to solve this? TT_TT

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Your i7-13700 shouldn't start to throttle until Tjunction hits 100°C.

Daft question, but you do have a thin layer of TIM (thermal paste) between your CPU and the cooler don't you? Similarly, you did remove the clear plastic protector from the air cooler base (if it came without preapplied TIM) or the water block if one was fitted by the manufacturer?

Tjunction is not necessarily the same as Tpackage, but I'd still expect to see a much higher temperatures when throttling. Try a few more programs to check temps, e.g. HWInfo, AIDA64, HWMonitor and see if they report the same low temp. Your current program might be mis-reporting the temperature.

Disable all manual overrides on PL1 and PL2. Better still, clear the BIOS and go back to stock settings.

I hardly ever run benchmark programs on my systems, because I'm not interested in comparing their relative performance. I already know my dual core G3258 runs slower than my 7950X.

Jul 2, 2023
Your i7-13700 shouldn't start to throttle until Tjunction hits 100°C.

Daft question, but you do have a thin layer of TIM (thermal paste) between your CPU and the cooler don't you? Similarly, you did remove the clear plastic protector from the air cooler base (if it came without preapplied TIM) or the water block if one was fitted by the manufacturer?

Tjunction is not necessarily the same as Tpackage, but I'd still expect to see a much higher temperatures when throttling. Try a few more programs to check temps, e.g. HWInfo, AIDA64, HWMonitor and see if they report the same low temp. Your current program might be mis-reporting the temperature.

Disable all manual overrides on PL1 and PL2. Better still, clear the BIOS and go back to stock settings.

I hardly ever run benchmark programs on my systems, because I'm not interested in comparing their relative performance. I already know my dual core G3258 runs slower than my 7950X.
Yes, I had peel off those sticker before apply thermal paste. The HWmonitor and HWInfo show almost the same temp with intel XTU. 😢

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
FWIW - I have an i5-13500 on an ASRock Z790 Pro RS motherboard.

I get 1846 single core and 20900 multi core scores on R23 which seems to confirm your 13700 is underperforming on multi core.

I am using DDR5-6000 CL30 RAM with XMP enabled. Aside from XMP, all BIOS settings are default. I did update to the latest BIOS.

Cooling is a Noctua NH-D15 which I already had on hand and my temps never exceed 65C (Handbrake is my long-term test for temperature stability).

I'm a believer in going heavy on cooling and had I not had the Noctua on hand, the minimum cooler I would have gotten is the Deep Cool AK 400...

Reactions: JackFrostTT
@JackFrostTT
Try running ThrottleStop instead of Intel XTU. Post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop FIVR window. It will show if Undervolt Protection is enabled. This new Intel feature is broken and can cut performance in half. If you can find an option in the BIOS, I would highly recommend disabling undervolt protection. You might be forced to install an early BIOS version to fix this problem.
View: https://imgur.com/bpinOAW

Also post a screenshot of the TPL window. That will show what the turbo power limits are set to. The Limit Reasons window will show any reasons for throttling. Watch that window for any boxes lighting up red while Cinebench is running.

Here is how to disable Windows 11 VBS.
https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

Last edited:
Reactions: JackFrostTT
Jul 2, 2023
@uWebb429 @wyliec2 @TerryLaze Thanks guys. After weeks of contacting with Intel CS there is nothing work except I found that the issue come from the power limit throttling, so I decide to contact with ASRock CS.

The solution they gave me is to change the Base frequency again (I increase it to around 80W), but this time try to change the AC load line from 0.5 (Default) to 0.7. Then it's just work the benchmark score is getting back to where it should be (Cinebench R23 around 29k).

Don't know what the heck is that but it work, however I now think it might be the MB setting or PSU that is aren't ATX 3.0, but this setting is now working for me TT_TT

If your cpu-Z single thread rating is normal, but the multithread is not, then I suspect that you are not working with all the available threads.
That can happen if you upgraded the cpu and did not reinstall windows.
In msconfig boot tab advanced options you want to blank the field for the number of processors.

There might be something similar in the bios.

increase it to around 80W
The default long term turbo power limit for non K CPUs is only 65W. This will kill performance during any long term stress test like Cinebench. If you have good cooling and if you want maximum performance, you need to increase both the long and short turbo power limits to at least 200W. Look for PL1 and PL2 in the BIOS. Intel default for PL2 for a 13700 is 219W. That is realistic. The recommended 65W number is silly.