[SOLVED] My Intel computer will not install the 1903 update due to an AMD issue

Aug 2, 2019
As stated, I am using an intel build. The update states that it cannot upgrade to 1903 until I update my AMD drivers for my "AMD Ryzen" or Threadripper "configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode" Those drivers can't be updated, as this is NOT an AMD system. It is intel. As directed by the links, I go to the X399 Drivers & Support page to be told my system is not an AMD system and the drivers will not update. The Motherboard is an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 with a chipset Z390. It is currently configuring my Crucial P1 M.2 2280 as a AMD-Raid SCSI device. and the drivers will not update by any means.

All attempts to update the driver fail. All attempts to "repair" windows fail to resolve the issue.

Not sure what to attempt next. Also it should be noted, that the Crucial Storage Executive does not "see" the physical drive at all preventing updates to drivers or any manipulation of the drive( firmware) as Crucial suggests. Intel SSD Toolbox CAN see the drive physically, but again can offer no manipulation of the drivers or firmware.

The computer specs are listed here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5AY8N8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Issue Fixed. Not a Windows, not a driver, not a motherboard. Turns out it was in fact an error, as stated in most of my replies, at the assembly company. After MUCH patience I finally got a reply to my email. "We will send out a properly imaged M2 drive." It arrived, installed. perfection. I was even able to salvage my information from the old drive, then nuke it, delete the partitions, re-partition, re format, then delete the image on the old drive, package it up and send it right back. So the 3rd party guru that gave me the insight that this was a custom image used by the assembler of the unit as a short cut, appears to be correct. Of course I have to get every thing set back to my preferences again, but what...
Sep 3, 2019
Hi!

Did you succeed to resolve the issue? Cause I'm experiencing the same and, as far as I have searched on the internet, you are the only one who talked about it.

I cleaned the OS, ran all the other update, done a sfc /scannow, tried to see which software could do such a thing, and so far it's a void.

I have the same problem with another desktop, two diffrerent set up (motherboard, CPU, GPU).

If anyone got any clue... Apart form waiting. =)

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, they're both on Intel.

I've checked the driver list on my personal computer and I found 2 weird one: "AMD-RAID Bottom Device" and "AMD-RAID Controller [storport]".
Maybe it comes from here. Looks like they were installed in june, meaning the PC has worked without it during one year. Can't find what could have installed it.

I'll do the clean Windows install in last resort, as there are a lot of software that I would have to reinstall (and I still need to work just a bit). =)

Thanks again for the help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
some guy found out his ssd was a AMD RAID bottom device, I don't know how he found that out, whether it shows in the details of ssd in device manager, or somewhere else, I am not sure.

It seems to affect NVME drives. Which sucks as another guy fixed it by removing drive, difficult to do if its boot drive.

I suspect windows is loading these drivers, one guys suggesting was load IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Device) instead as its the INtel raid drivers. No idea if this fixes it.

did you ever use 3rd party driver updating programs to update PC? That could explain why you have AMD raid drivers on an Intel PC, or 2 of them?

Sep 3, 2019
I used a 3rd party driver updating program but it was in late august, not in june (the month where it first appeared) and I did not used it on the other machine.

I'm going to try the IRST.

Thanks again, mate.

D

Deleted member 14196

I used a 3rd party driver updating program but it was in late august, not in june (the month where it first appeared) and I did not used it on the other machine.

I'm going to try the IRST.

Thanks again, mate.
LOL. so, you just revealed your problem! Driver updating programs screw up windows almost EVERY single time. Time for a CLEAN INSTALL, follow these directions to the letter or all bets are off

Clean install

do not ever, EVER use driver updater or driver utilities. download them from your motherboard website support page. I had a feeling this was the problem. And I am right once again.

I am pretty sure that those programs are written by retards, no, I am CONVINCED of it. Please don't ever use them again after a Clean install

In fact, you should never need to do anything but a Clean install because Windows already knows what drivers go with your stuff.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could reset the PC, that should make it load all new drivers and maybe not repeat the same process.

Or clean install win 10 1903 and ignore it... not ideal. Both require reinstalling all your applications again

nice to know what device is using the drivers, since they raid its clearly one of the 2 disks. could unplug the non os ssd and see if it lets you get any further, would answer if its the boot or other ssd that its running on

Mandark, he only used it on ONE of them though

Reactions: MirabellStudio
Sep 3, 2019
LOL. so, you just revealed your problem! Driver updating programs screw up windows almost EVERY single time. Time for a CLEAN INSTALL, follow these directions to the letter or all bets are off

As I said, only one of the 2 computer went throught the 3rd party program (mine).
The other one which has a similar problem with the Windows 1903 update did not used it, it is "pure".

So I don't think it comes from there, as far I can tell.

@Colif
I'd like to try to unplug the SSD without OS, but when I see all the links you sent me earlier, it really seems to be linked with the NVME SSD.

I stay in touch with you if I can avoid the reinstall.

One more time, thanks for helping, I really appreciate.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know a way to stop them running at startup but it may not be enough to let you update, as they arre still on PC and if anything decides to start them, same thing will happen

Try running autoruns and see if you can identify them - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Since windows auto installs them if he tries to remove them, that is pretty obvious that they part of windows. There are AMD drivers built into windows but they aren't raid drivers.

I would try and ask on here, they probably know more about Windows 10 than MIcrosoft do. They might get further - https://www.tenforums.com/ - and if they do fix it, can you show a link here to solution?

I will ask around here and see if anyone has any ideas.

Last edited:
Reactions: MirabellStudio
Aug 2, 2019
I received some information from a local PC guru , that I have not confirmed, but seems plausible.

My computer (and yours as well) may be victims of lazy manufacturing. The drivers are being indicated by the manufacturer's image that they mass produce to each drive being used as boot drives. Saves them time by being able to use 1 image for both intel and AMD builds. And they use the BIOS to insure that the link is established. Each subsequent SSD added will follow the same RAID /SCSI drivers because the BIOS demands that it do so. 1903 is just the 1st time that Windows has done an update that "triggers" the loop hole and no one has any incentive to patch it because it is not a patchable issue any of them intended. Thus our manufacturers have put us squarely in no man's land. Not a windows issue, not an AMD issue so no support.

Now, understand, no matter how many times you try, it will always default to what the manufacturer did originally. These files are in fact NATIVE to Windows, but the manufacturer has created a "workaround" with the bios to prevent corruption. This gives them the ability to add additional partitions with the "recovery" copy of windows that most folks use to re-install windows as they image the drives. It gets done a lot when the build has no CD/DVD drive in the build to load the OS, so they use the master image to load it.

As it was explained to me, clean installs ONLY work if the install comes from another source as in a clean copy of windows fully installed from OEM DISCs. At any rate it is a easy spot because of the original drive being a RAID 0 drive and SCSI interface.

The one and only solution is to change your interface on the drive to a non scsi/Non Raid drive. To do this you have to be ready with a clean version USB or a USB portable DVD disks to do a clean install, go into your BIOS and change the drives in question from SCSI Nvme Raid to a SATA interface. Which effectively destroys your "hardwired" link to those drivers. Windows will then pick the NVme SATA or other mode, and then use proper drivers for an intel build. Switching both of your drives to proper drivers. Any other methods will simply default back to the BIOS hunting those same files up after windows fixes them.

I have even looked in my bios and sure enough, there the file names are telling the OS when it boots to go to those files and will remain until I change the interface according to my source.

Articles disagree across the board about just simply changing the Bios and it working fine after that.
I tried several methods of changing the files, the drivers in the OS to be greeted with BSOD until the files got replaced the next boot up/repair.

Again, no proof that this is the issue, yet every aspect of it rings true to my ears and it follows a certain logic of shoddy workmanship and techno- short cuts instead of just properly putting the damn things together. My cursory research backs it up, and I have seen plenty of other boards offer up the same solutions offered in this thread fail. Mainly because of the "CLEAN INSTALL" not being defined as changing the BIOS and using original discs to do the install instead of the version already on the partition to use for repair/recovery/re-installation.

I have not yet pulled the trigger on mine as I have too many other things to do than sweat out the change over. I will update as soon as I do so.

Sep 3, 2019
@Colif @Zhama

I've done a quick restart to explore the BIOS, but I didn't see the option, the storage configuration section was mainly about the SATA drive and the NVME part just showed me some information about the SSD, nothing editable.

Maybe I missed something (I'm doing this while working, so that's a bit tricky).

I'll try to do it again before I leave and to post a picture as soon as I can...