[SOLVED] My Intel computer will not install the 1903 update due to an AMD issue

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 2, 2019
As stated, I am using an intel build. The update states that it cannot upgrade to 1903 until I update my AMD drivers for my "AMD Ryzen" or Threadripper "configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode" Those drivers can't be updated, as this is NOT an AMD system. It is intel. As directed by the links, I go to the X399 Drivers & Support page to be told my system is not an AMD system and the drivers will not update. The Motherboard is an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 with a chipset Z390. It is currently configuring my Crucial P1 M.2 2280 as a AMD-Raid SCSI device. and the drivers will not update by any means.

All attempts to update the driver fail. All attempts to "repair" windows fail to resolve the issue.

Not sure what to attempt next. Also it should be noted, that the Crucial Storage Executive does not "see" the physical drive at all preventing updates to drivers or any manipulation of the drive( firmware) as Crucial suggests. Intel SSD Toolbox CAN see the drive physically, but again can offer no manipulation of the drivers or firmware.

The computer specs are listed here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5AY8N8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Issue Fixed. Not a Windows, not a driver, not a motherboard. Turns out it was in fact an error, as stated in most of my replies, at the assembly company. After MUCH patience I finally got a reply to my email. "We will send out a properly imaged M2 drive." It arrived, installed. perfection. I was even able to salvage my information from the old drive, then nuke it, delete the partitions, re-partition, re format, then delete the image on the old drive, package it up and send it right back. So the 3rd party guru that gave me the insight that this was a custom image used by the assembler of the unit as a short cut, appears to be correct. Of course I have to get every thing set back to my preferences again, but what...
Thanks for the follow-up. The log file is quite long and hard to parse, but the Windows 10 Update installer makes no secret of the problem. It says "AMD Ryzen™ or AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode.
A driver is installed that causes stability problems on Windows. This driver will be disabled. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows." and then provides the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-update-on-computers-running-certain-amd-raid

Unfortunately, none of this is useful, as I have an Intel PC and am unable to install any sort of AMD driver updates. Seems that Crucial botched this one. So far I am unimpressed with their support; if they can't make this right, they'll have lost a long-time customer.
Do you see any devices with yellow exclamation points or question marks in device manager?
Additionally, can you please check to see if your motherboard is operating in raid mode? Just report your findings, don't change anything. You'll have to enter the bios to check this. Other possible modes will be IDE/SATA/AHCI

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
Do you see any devices with yellow exclamation points or question marks in device manager?
Additionally, can you please check to see if your motherboard is operating in raid mode? Just report your findings, don't change anything. You'll have to enter the bios to check this. Other possible modes will be IDE/SATA/AHCI
The BIOS indicates AHCI mode,
Hi Sgt, thanks for your continued follow-up. BIOS indicates that motherboard is operating in AHCI mode (RAID is the other option, but it's not enabled). Device manager shows one question mark next to an item called 'Unknown device' under the 'Other devices' category. Nothing else out of the ordinary in Device Manager... aside from the problem-driver itself, called 'AMD-RAID CT500P1SSD8 SCSI Disk Device' (Crucial Technologies 500GB P1 SSD). Windows won't update the driver automatically (says it has determined that the best driver is already installed), and I if I download and try to install AMD drivers it refuses since I've got an Intel system... perhaps that AMD driver is available standalone for manual installation? I think there's a firmware update available for the SSD, but I'm skeptical that this will be a resolution. Very unimpressed with Crucial's customer support.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'm having this exact same problem on a Dell XPS 8930 Intel (i7 8700). I bought it with a Hard Drive only and then upon receiving the machine I immediately installed a Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD as the boot drive and installed Windows using Dell recovery media. Everything worked perfectly until this dreaded Windows 1903 update. Given the headache you all are describing, I might just wait for a Black Friday deal and get a 2.5" SATA SSD (didn't really notice the NVMe speed difference anyway). Please do keep this thread going as long as possible, I'd love to know whether Microsoft / Crucial / whoever ends up offering a real solution.

Did you buy this Dell from LDLC?

I ask because everyone else up until now had bought a pre built PC from one company, and I am not sure if they sell Dell PC or not.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019
If you doubleclick rhe missing device driver in device management then click details. Under property drop down to hardware ids. Can you post that output and do you know if that question mark is directly related to the problem driver? Is device management where you determined what the problem driver is?
Hi Sgt. When I go to Device Manager > Unknown Device > Details > Hardware Ids, what it displays under the 'Value' area is just "*DellProf" - I'm thinking it's unlikely that this unidentified device is related to the update failure issue.

Device manager (under 'Disk Drives') is where I found the AMD-RAID CT500P1SSD8 SCSI Disk Device (it doesn't indicate any problems with it), but based on the message I get from Windows Update, it seems pretty clear that this is what's preventing the 1903 update. Still no reply from Crucial Support. Pretty weak, sloppy company.

Oct 8, 2019
Did you buy this Dell from LDLC?

I ask because everyone else up until now had bought a pre built PC from one company, and I am not sure if they sell Dell PC or not.
Hi Cloif,
I'm not sure what LDLC refers to, but I did buy the machine directly from Dell. I kept the OEM hard drive exactly as it shipped (complete with the OS and everything) before I installed the Crucial M.2 NVMe SSD... I'm sure I could swap the HD back in and everything would be fine with the update, but I'm not interested in doing so as I want an SSD as my boot drive. At this point I'm thinking I'll probably just wait until Black Friday and then buy another SSD from a more reputable company (then potentially grab an NVMe external enclosure and make this current drive into a portable SSD).

Hi Sgt. When I go to Device Manager > Unknown Device > Details > Hardware Ids, what it displays under the 'Value' area is just "*DellProf" - I'm thinking it's unlikely that this unidentified device is related to the update failure issue.

Device manager (under 'Disk Drives') is where I found the AMD-RAID CT500P1SSD8 SCSI Disk Device (it doesn't indicate any problems with it), but based on the message I get from Windows Update, it seems pretty clear that this is what's preventing the 1903 update. Still no reply from Crucial Support. Pretty weak, sloppy company.
Forgive me if this has already been discussed and I don't know if you have this specific NVME, but can you check to see if your SSD is on the latest firmware?
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-p1

Note: Device identifiers based on the information it retrieves from said device. If the information is corrected, your windows update might install successfully. As the link recommends, make sure you backup all of your data before trying this and check to make sure your ssd is still under warranty.