Question My Intel i5 8265U is thermal throttling for no reason

Dec 9, 2020
One day I logged on to do some work and noticed that my clock speed was chilling at either 1.6GHz or 0.4GHz and so I checked Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and I noticed it said it was Thermal throttling but the temperature was between 102 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit. It happens when I'm just using my pc normally and I get a huge performance drop when it goes to 0.40GHz. I have my power plan set to default. Here are my specs:
Intel Core i5-8265U
12GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 620 (HP)

I have taken off my CPU heatsink to clean any dust that might be trapped, so I might need to re-apply some thermal paste. But I before I buy any I want to know if there is anything else that may be causing it.

The XTU will hopefully allow you to override the Turbo Boost duration and TDP limits, which are normal operation, but, not really needed if your temps are under control...

You can check temps yourself after sustained operations at/near max turbo with limits removed, being careful not to allow real throttle temps to be approached (I'd prefer 80C than to allow above that, personally), even possibly adjusting max all-core turbo down 100 MHz if needed. (A slight undervolt of even .02-.05V core might help with temps if needed)

Dec 9, 2020
When I use my computer normally it thermal throttles. When I open a new browser tab or swich to a different one or switch apps is when it happens most. It also happens when I'm typing something or using a normal app. When I run a process intensive game it barely throttles at all.

For XTU I don't have any access to Turbo Boost Technology controls, but I do have access to short power max settings. Yesterday near the end of the day it stopped throttling so much but when I got on this morning it started throttling again. Yesterday I was playing process intensive games for about 2 hours and when I exited them and used my computer normally it wasn't throttling.

I also notice when I unplug my laptop and plug it back in while it's running the processer speed drops down to 0.40GHz and doesn't come back up until I restart my computer.

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
i am facing the bloody same issue for my i5 8250U even though its set at max performance profile, and the temperature at 100% usage is 70 degrees C but the clocks would never cross 1.6GHz

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
One day I logged on to do some work and noticed that my clock speed was chilling at either 1.6GHz or 0.4GHz and so I checked Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and I noticed it said it was Thermal throttling but the temperature was between 102 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit. It happens when I'm just using my pc normally and I get a huge performance drop when it goes to 0.40GHz. I have my power plan set to default. Here are my specs:
Intel Core i5-8265U
12GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 620 (HP)

I have taken off my CPU heatsink to clean any dust that might be trapped, so I might need to re-apply some thermal paste. But I before I buy any I want to know if there is anything else that may be causing it.
Buddy how are u Using the XTU ??? i tried to install it it shows unsupported platform but you are also on an U-platform and GEN as i5 8250u

Dec 9, 2020
i am facing the bloody same issue for my i5 8250U even though its set at max performance profile, and the temperature at 100% usage is 70 degrees C but the clocks would never cross 1.6GHz
I heard that if your processor is set at max performance profile at 100% power on minimum and maximum processor states it causes it to power throttle so I have mine set to 40% minimum plugged in and 100% maximum plugged in

Dec 9, 2020
Trying to make sure we are not confusing normal downclocking during light workloads with actual thermal throttling...

Run the XTU's included stress test (CPU only) for 10 minutes, noting both the core speeds and the package temp during this load.
When I ran the stress test my CPU was at 100% load at 1.6GHz and the temperature was at around 115℉ and then it would thermal throttle and Power throttle.