Question My internet connection goes out randomly for seconds

Apr 14, 2022
My internet connection on both my PC (ethernet) and on my phone (WiFi) cuts out randomly quite often. When it happens, it only lasts for about 5 - 20 seconds but it often cuts out again within a minute, and sometimes it will cut out 1-2 seconds after just cutting out. It mostly happens around 12 pm - 10 am, which is weird. It has happened outside those hours but it is rampant during that time. I have no clue what could be causing this. I don't know if it is the router, the modem, or something else entirely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of what I mean in Bloons TD 6:
View: https://youtu.be/AxuslmOXAGU

Apr 14, 2022
See you re posted this with a video not that it makes any difference. Some game showing packet loss really means nothing unless it only happens in the game and then it is a game issue.

I posted the video to show that the internet goes out and comes back almost instantly. This is not exclusive to just this game. It happens in every game, and on the internet, for all devices connected to this network

So what if anything did you do to test this other than run game programs. I will repost what I put in the other thread

It likely is something wrong with the connection coming to your house.

Since if you call the ISP they will attempt to blame everything else first best to have tested it before you call them. I would take a PC and plug it directly into the modem. In many cases you will have to power cycle the modem and then plug your pc into it after the modem is booted. Modems tend to lock onto the first device they see and not change so it would only talk to your router until it is rebooted. Open a CMD window and leave a constant ping run to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1. This is so you can show the ISP that you are getting packet loss.

It is strange that is only has issue during those hours. It will make it harder for the ISP to test. You likely should call the ISP during that time frame or they will test from their office and see no problem. If the ISP offers to come out try to get them to come out during that time frame also. At least you have some part of the day where the ISP will be working, it is much harder when it is only when they are closed.

Hard to say what it would be. Mostly when it is time of day issue it is other people traffic causing issues for you. The internet connection to your house is likely shared with many of your neighbors. It is much more common for it to be a problem say when people get home from work (before people worked from home so much).
Maybe it is weather/temperature related if it get cold at night. In any case you can do nothing about this stuff. It is not likely in your house and hooking directly to the modem will eliminate most strange possibilities.

mtracy1991

Reputable
My internet connection on both my PC (ethernet) and on my phone (WiFi) cuts out randomly quite often. When it happens, it only lasts for about 5 - 20 seconds but it often cuts out again within a minute, and sometimes it will cut out 1-2 seconds after just cutting out. It mostly happens around 12 pm - 10 am, which is weird. It has happened outside those hours but it is rampant during that time. I have no clue what could be causing this. I don't know if it is the router, the modem, or something else entirely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of what I mean in Bloons TD 6:
View: https://youtu.be/AxuslmOXAGU

This could be a multitude of things.

I second running a ping test in command prompt.
I usually run this:

ping www.google.com -t
And look for ms=xxx (Look for triple digits and request timed outs to show your ISP).

I wouldn't rule out the NIC, maybe try reinstalling it by opening up device manager > network adapters > right click your adapter and click uninstall then restart your machine.
Observe the issue above to see if it continues.
Also, I'd suggest maybe trying an older driver or newer driver and install.