My internet is painfully slow after disabling "virtual router manager" wifi hotspot. Help!

dude7691

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hello all :) I recently was told to stop using my "virtual router manager" from this site here:
http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/
I am using the following wireless adapter:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N-150Mbps-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B002SZEOLG
I am running a PC and once I stopped using the wifi-hotspot which was running off of my laptop, my internet has slowed to a crawl (getting 50kb/s download compared to 700kb/s normally). I only started using the hotspot because the internet was so bad without this in place anyway. I am trying to revise for my exams that are coming up and it's impossible to access past papers with this terrible internet connection. The other people are not using a lot of bandwidth (printing, surfing the web). There are usually around 3 or 4 devices connected and I am the only one that uses the internet for games, streaming e.t.c. I was told to turn off the hotspot from my laptop because it was preventing other people from connecting to the normal network on occasion. I usually get 2-3 bars of signal to the router extension which we have installed and only 1-2 bars to the actual router. My laptop used to get 5 bars to the extension at all times and deliver me a solid speed and it was stable most importantly. My PC is high-end so this is not a performance related issue. I have scanned for virus with AVG and all is clear. If it is the adapter, I am willing to buy a better one but a cable is not an option as it cannot be run easily in my house. Thanks for the ongoing support and I appreciate all response and possible solutions. Thanks :D

Solution
I'd turn back on the virtual router and hide the SSID for it.

You should see why it is interfering, it's probably on the same channel as the main connection. try setting it to a different channel... 1, 6. or 11.

There's a free software called INSSIDer that can help you see what wireless channels are in use, so you can set your virtual router hotspot to the least used channel.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I'd turn back on the virtual router and hide the SSID for it.

You should see why it is interfering, it's probably on the same channel as the main connection. try setting it to a different channel... 1, 6. or 11.

There's a free software called INSSIDer that can help you see what wireless channels are in use, so you can set your virtual router hotspot to the least used channel.

Solution

dude7691

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hi, how do I hide the SSID? If it is hidden how can I then connect to it? Also I will need to hide my laptop of course in order to prevent detection from my parents :/ The interface is basically the network name, password and what shared connection is used. No options for channels or anything like that or hiding SSID

dude7691

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I don't think they are no. I am wondering if there are any other virtual router programs I can use instead that I can change the channel to not 6 or 10. My parents asked me not to use it as they claim it stops them accessing the normal router connection. Thanks