Question My internet speed is dropping

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Few days i posted here wanting help because my internet speed was dropping after i shifted my modem from the 1st floor to the 2nd floor, at first i thought it was fiber bend so i called my ISP to check the issue and they sent a technician and the technician said everything was working fine, the technician even changed a yellow wire that connects to my modem but speeds are still dropping even when no one is using the wifi. I logged into my modems login page and found this

Transmiting Light Power:2.1dBm
Receiving light power:-16.3dBm
Working Voltage:3231.3mV
Working Current:8.326mA
Working Temperature:55℃
are these numbers good?

If this is not fiber bend then what could it be? i still think its fiber bend cause the issue started after i moved from my 1st floor to 2nd floor( i didn't move the modem by myself i called my ISP to do it)
I'm really desperate right now and i need help.

Most the modern routers that have optical interfaces tend to also tell you want the optimum value is. There is no way to say without lots of details on the equipment.

In general a fiber issue will cause packet loss. Indirectly this will cause less data be able to be transferred but the fiber itself does not delay the light more.

I would run a simple ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you see packet loss.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Most the modern routers that have optical interfaces tend to also tell you want the optimum value is. There is no way to say without lots of details on the equipment.

In general a fiber issue will cause packet loss. Indirectly this will cause less data be able to be transferred but the fiber itself does not delay the light more.

I would run a simple ping to 8.8.8.8 and see if you see packet loss.
How can i do this test