[SOLVED] My internet speed is only 100 kbps ?

Mar 2, 2022
hello i am hoping someone can help me please my laptop hp elitebook 820 windows 10 is downloading at a very slow speed. I have tried numerous of attempts at fixing from updating drivers to a full windows restore i have had no luck my network adapter is broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11ABGN 2x2 wireless adapter that supposedly is meant to have 300 mbps however even with ethernet cable connected i reach a speed of 130 kbps i need help so badly please

Solution
With wifi you never get even close to the so called number 300 they say. That is a data encoding rate that ignores overhead but you should see rates around 30mbps not 100kbps.

In general a pc will use a ethernet port if both the ethernet can wifi are active. This can be different on some machines.

You are going to have to find a way to force it to use ethernet to start with. Microsoft has changed stuff so much that it is hard to give instructions. You should be able to find a setting that turns off the wifi in your computer. Some laptops have a button. It is sometime easier to turn the wifi off in the router temporarily to test than to find
the setting on the pc.

If you still really slow speeds on even ethernet it...

Ralston18

Titan
Check your laptop.

Ensure that only one network adapter either wired or wireless is enabled. Not both and not more than one network adapter of either sort.

Failing that then run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Mar 2, 2022
how do i check if more than one is enabled,? also when i go on device manager i have a list of network adapters ;
Bluetooth device (personal area network)
Broadcom
intel ethernet connection I218-LM
WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
WAN miniport (IP)
WAN miniport (IPV6)
WAN miniport(L2TP)
WAN miniport (network monitor)
WAN miniport (PPPOE)
WAN miniport (PPTP)
WAN miniport (SSTP)

also how can i post results of the CMD or what should i be looking out for
TIA
sorry i have little computer knowledge

With wifi you never get even close to the so called number 300 they say. That is a data encoding rate that ignores overhead but you should see rates around 30mbps not 100kbps.

In general a pc will use a ethernet port if both the ethernet can wifi are active. This can be different on some machines.

You are going to have to find a way to force it to use ethernet to start with. Microsoft has changed stuff so much that it is hard to give instructions. You should be able to find a setting that turns off the wifi in your computer. Some laptops have a button. It is sometime easier to turn the wifi off in the router temporarily to test than to find
the setting on the pc.

If you still really slow speeds on even ethernet it gets more complex to find. Do you have another device you can run a speedtest on to be sure it is not your internet connection that is causing the problem.

Solution