[SOLVED] My internet speed is under 1mbps

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
I permanently moved to a new room in our home a few days ago. I noticed using my pc , internet was very slow, almost unusable, also connection drops many times.On Windows 7, it looks like wifi signal is sometimes 1/5,2/5 or 3/5. Internet Tv on my stb is not working also many times it has problems finding the wifi network/modem, even if it is able connect, it just plays a few frames then stops. But my smartphone has better internet than my pc.

Today I decided to run an actual test for measuring actual speed of my pc's intenet connection, I used speedtest(on Oakla's website), it returned with the result of being under 1 mbps.I tested many times on that website and also on some other dsl-speedtest sites, some of them was not even able to start the test with the warning that the connection was too slow.

I ran a test for my smartphone's wifi internet connection too, I stayed in front of my computer and the result was about 11mbps, much much better than my pc's connection speed.But I went to another side of my room and retested my smartphone's connection speed, it dropped to 1mbps.

Our maximum internet speed which we subscribed to is 40mbps(or around that if I remember right).I tried with two different modems/routers and one of them worked worse than other but the better one was still under 1 mbps.

So my question is, if I buy a repeater to increase the signal strength, would it increase the signal enough to reach much higher speeds than 1mbps?Also can I use Asus Dsl-AC52U modem/router as a repeater that wirelessly connects to my other modem/router?In our previous home, I was able to use it as an access point but it is not a good option, we don't like the fact that we have to use a long ethernet cable, so I would prefer to use it as a wireless repeater if possible.If it is possible, how can I do it?I have read the Asus's Dsl-AC52U manual but the instructions about using it as a WDS is too short and I even couldn't undrstand clearly if it is possible to use it as a wireless repeater or not.

Last edited:
Solution
I permanently moved to a new room in our home a few days ago. I noticed using my pc , internet was very slow, almost unusable, also connections drops many time.On Windows 7, it looks like wifi signal is sometimes 1/5,2/5 or 3/5. Internet Tv on my stb is not working also many times it has problems finding the wifi network/modem, even if it is able connect, it just plays a few frames then stops. But my smartphone has better internet than my pc.

Today I decided to run an actual test for measuring actual speed of my pc's intenet connection, I used speedtest(on Oakla's website), it return with the result of being under 1 mbps.I tested many times on that website and also on some other dsl-speedtest sites, some of them was not even...

kanewolf

Titan
I permanently moved to a new room in our home a few days ago. I noticed using my pc , internet was very slow, almost unusable, also connections drops many time.On Windows 7, it looks like wifi signal is sometimes 1/5,2/5 or 3/5. Internet Tv on my stb is not working also many times it has problems finding the wifi network/modem, even if it is able connect, it just plays a few frames then stops. But my smartphone has better internet than my pc.

Today I decided to run an actual test for measuring actual speed of my pc's intenet connection, I used speedtest(on Oakla's website), it return with the result of being under 1 mbps.I tested many times on that website and also on some other dsl-speedtest sites, some of them was not even able to start the test with the warning that the connection was too slow.

I run a test for my smartphone's wifi internet connection, I stayed in front of my computer and the result was about 11mbps, much much better than my pc's connection speed.But I went to another side of my room and retested my smartphone's connection speed, it dropped to 1mbps.

Our maximum internet speed which we subscribed to is 40mbps(or around that if I remember right).I tried with two different modems/routers and one of them worked worse than other but the better one was still under 1 mbps.

So my question is, if I buy a repeater to increase the signal strength, would it increase the signal enough to reach much higher speeds than 1mbps?Also can I use Asus Dsl-AC52U modem/router as a repeater that wirelessly connected to my other modem/router?In our previous home, I was able to use it as an access point but it is not a good option, we don't like the fact that we have to use a long ethernet cable, so I would prefer to use it as a wireless repeater if possible.If it is possible, how can I do it?I have read the Asus's Dsl-AC52U manual but the instructions about using it as a WDS is too short and I even couldn't undrstand clearly if it is possible to use it as a wireless repeater or not..
If you have no other option, a WIFI repeater might work. But you wouldn't put it in your room, you would put it 1/2 way between your room and the router.
BUT, I would recommend you try powerline network adapters to give you a wired network.

Reactions: MichaelKnight
Solution

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for your answer. I have bought a repeater and it seemed like it did the trick.No more ultraslow internet connection using pc, no more disconnecting,the stb is able to run internet tv... etc.

Last edited: