My iomega external hard drive not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

dots77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Hello, I'm in desperate help, my iomega external hard drive 1Tb is not being recognized by my computer. I have all my importnt info on there and i've tried unplugging it restarting computer, and still no results. Please help.

dots77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010

Thanks for the response. Yes, the same thing happens when I treid hooking it up to other computers, and yes, the sound is there, you can hear the hard drive spinning at start up, just like it always did.

I've also taken the hard drive out of the case, and put it into an enclosure, but then i was able to see the drive on my computer, but when i would click on the drive a message would pop up saying - please insert disc into F: drive. (or whatever drive it was).

gcnagaraj

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Hi,

I had the same issue of my iomega 1tb not getting recognised in my Lenovo T61. I tried all kinds of setting and it didnt work

Later on i took it to my friend's house where she had a new laptop ( Acer Aspire 7438Z). For some reason it worked there. I did a NTFS formatting of the hard drive and created 3 partitions. ( 100gb, 100gb and 780 GB ). I was wondering whether my laptop would not support more than 100gb so i created these small partitions.

Once the partitions are done, i activated them. And then i tried in my old laptop. Then it started working.

What i came to know is .. most of these drives comes without formating OR it would be formated for the MAC. Due to this reason it will not be recognised in some laptops. So find a machine where it is recognisable and get it formatted. This will help

Thanks
Nagaraj

khuang

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
It'll be bent pins in the usb connection, take a good look, this happened to my one

This was exactly my issue. I had two screaming kids and was trying to get my hard drive to work after a move, so thank you for saving me about two hours uninstalling drivers just to find out it was a hardware issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.