Question My is dying / Cold boot issue? Sometimes works

Oct 23, 2019
Hello dear TomsHardware community,

I come to you in dire need of help, I have no idea where to start diagnosing the issue and have no idea what could be wrong. I will describe the situation in a few steps, showing what I have done so far to check what could be the issue and then list my specs.

• Recently ( 1.5 months ago ) upgraded my pc, swapped my mobo to a Asrock b85 killer and bought a I7-4770 CPU. Also bought 8GB of RAM to bump my RAM to 16GB. The 2 sticks are the same, but different to the ones I already had. Those two are also the same. The MHZ is the same for all sticks. 1600 DDR3 I believe.
  • Had the guy who I bought the mobo from install the cpu in the socket and have been using them without issue for 1.5 months. Playing graphic and CPU intensive games on the system.
  • On sunday I tried to start my PC but the light came on, the fans start spinning for 1 second and then the pc turns off again. It then tries to start up again 1 or 2 seconds later but always shuts off within 1 second again. I removed all cables from my PC and that didn't help. I then checked the cables on the inside to see if anything had come loose, I also removed 1 RAM stick to see if anything might be wrong there. I plugged in the power again and tried booting it. It booted into Windows and stayed on the entire day without issue.
  • So during sunday after this issue I had played more games on it, keeping it on and never got an error, hardlock, bluescreen or anything of note. In the evening I turned the PC off.
  • On monday the same issue occured, and I thought it could be the PSU. I took it to a store to test it with a different PSU, but the problem persisted. The pc would turn on and off within a few seconds and just kept repeating this. I took it home and kept it off the power. After awhile I hooked it up and it worked again without issue, booting into windows and letting me play games.

Today I still have the same issue, most of the time it just will not boot. I thought ok I will remove everything piece by piece to test it, but right now it's just working so I can't really diagnose the problem. Does anyone here have any clue as to what could be the issue? Any help would be so appreciated.. :(

Specs:

Asrock B85 Killer

Intel I7-4770

1060GTX 3GB

16GB Ram, 2 sets of 8gb at DDR3 1600mhz.

Temps while gaming run normal at around 50c for the CPU and 80c for the GPU...

Idle temps are 30c for cpu and around 40c for gpu

I put it in sleep mode last night hoping I would be able to wake it today, but to no avail. Even from sleep mode it will not wake and do the same issue :(

Pls help im desperate

Oct 23, 2019
Sadly I do not, will try to reset CMOS or load default BIOS options.. but since it doesnt even show anything on screen I doubt I will be able to reset it :(

Oct 8, 2019
Did u try using your motherboard without the graphic card ?.
And 80c for a gpu is not normal IMO. I doubt even overclocking your GPU gives that temperature but not sure.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019
80c should be fine if I'm looking at what normal temps are for a 1060gtx 3gb..

Have not tried it without gpu yet, because every time I want to diagnose the issue the pc starts working again -_-

Oct 23, 2019
Reflashed the bios to latest version and did a windows memory test.. both went without a hitch. Was able to use the pc last night without any issues.

Today, wake up try to boot it but no luck :( what could be wrong its driving me nuts