My ISP and Modem are 100 MBPS capable but Ethernet and WiFi are below 40!!

elPepin

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron 3542 with Windows 10. I recently upgraded my plan and router to speeds of 100 MBPS. When I checked through "Speedtest" ,while connected to WiFi it only marked up to 40 or so. Then I connected it to the Ethernet, same thing.
I called the provider, the technician did the same and his computer went up to 110 MBPS!!
I've googled this and found that if I uninstall an app called "Smartbite" it would solved all my problems but it didn't. It improved just a bit but still.
I have re-installed drivers, ran Dell Assistant both online and included in computer also tried starting it up in Safe Mode with Networking but nothing.
I was told in another forum "I think the main problem with this machine is it has a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet NIC built in, so it's not going to give the speeds afforded by a 100Mbps line"

I don't think it is a hardware problem since WiFi and Ethernet are separate systems. As far as Dell says dell wireless 1705 card 802.11 b/g/n (2.4ghz) is capable of handling higher speeds.
HELP!!!

Ralston18

Titan
Ensure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled.

Wired is inherently faster than wireless so focus on configuring the Ethernet wired adapter correctly configured.

Do try try the Windows 10 built in network troubleshooters.