[SOLVED] my isp is giving me 1/20th of the download speed they promised. can i someway get to their management of bandwidth and take what should i get??

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf_xd

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
hi there, i am from bangladesh, a third world country. my broadband speed is 16mbps but what i get is 1mbps on average, i mean the speed shown on speedof.me and at pick hours it even falls to 0.3 mbps. i turn off other wifi devices when i test the speed. i can't even stream anything. it keeps buffering. when i call my isp they just make it 2/3 mbps for some 30 minutes and then again it drops and they dont answer my call sometimes and i also cant always call them because i am out of balance in my prepaid phone. but to change the isp i need to pay a big installation charge which i just provided them 2 months ago. moreover other isps are not far better. they give around 2/3 mbps in a 15mbps connection. i just wanna know if i can somehow drain bandwidth because they give everyone shared line and ip. they are not as updated as the ones in your countries. they surely use the most outdated programs and they can't probably control the bandwidth efficiently. they can't throttle any connection. just tell me can i hog some bandwidth like 10mbps via any program or hacks. the device they give me is an old huawei white one with 4 lights on them named power, pos, los, lan. the fibre cable is connected to this device and my wifi router is connected to it. and the ports are old bulky wan port. so i hope you will know some way to help me because these devices were used a long time ago in your places and are gone now...

Solution
The box you have is called a ONT actually. It is likely less than 4yrs old even though they have a new model with the letter "H" on the end.

It is a very simplistic devices. It uses a protocol called GPON to talk to the central unit over the fiber. Any limitations on speed are actually done on the central unit not on your modem.

It is surprising it is that slow when you have a fiber connection. If the ISP really wanted to they could give you 10gbit on the fiber.

If you were complaining that you wanted to exceed the 16mbps that is not really possible since it is part of the gpon protocol that limits you not your data you send through it.

The ISP does not likely have anything that limits you to speeds less than you pay for...
The box you have is called a ONT actually. It is likely less than 4yrs old even though they have a new model with the letter "H" on the end.

It is a very simplistic devices. It uses a protocol called GPON to talk to the central unit over the fiber. Any limitations on speed are actually done on the central unit not on your modem.

It is surprising it is that slow when you have a fiber connection. If the ISP really wanted to they could give you 10gbit on the fiber.

If you were complaining that you wanted to exceed the 16mbps that is not really possible since it is part of the gpon protocol that limits you not your data you send through it.

The ISP does not likely have anything that limits you to speeds less than you pay for. Now they may have over sold the network and there is too much traffic. In effect your ISP did not buy enough bandwidth from the larger ISPs they connect to. No way to say since they will never admit this.

Bottom line is only the ISP can fix the issues. You need to hope it is just some issue with some hardware rather than them selling more than they have. This is why whenever I have new internet installed I make sure the technician tests with his pc to show me it actually meets the speed they promised. Most ISP do not charge to come out and fix issues that are in their hardware. Be very sure to test with your PC plugged into the ONT directly since that is what the tech guy will do to test.

Solution

yusuf_xd

Reputable
Dec 13, 2018
What modem do you have?
the modem is a white colored huawei echolife HG8310M and wifi router is tplink
I am sure it is on the ISP side, however one simple test is to remove the router from the test. Plug your modem directly into a desktop and run a few speed tests to see if there is a difference.
yeah i tried that a long ago and it was all the same. and i also know that they oversold the ip they have. its a common issue in our country. but in my currently relocated location, they did it overwhelmingly.. so you think i have no solution to this? i know there is no hardware issue. can i hack the central unit or manipulate the gpon call anyway to get at least a little more speed??

Now they may have over sold the network and there is too much traffic. In effect your ISP did not buy enough bandwidth from the larger ISPs they connect to. No way to say since they will never admit this.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the cause, but probably no way to prove it. You could call them and complain (if they would answer) but it could be all you can expect for the price in your area (I honestly don't know), and that's why the other, much better option is so much more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.