[SOLVED] My just built computer turns off after 20 seconds then turns itself on again and off again after 20 seconds, it keeps repeating that. Why?

Oct 19, 2019
Hello. So this is the second time I am building a pc. I've built my own gaming pc and have recently decided to start building a pc for my mom. It has the following specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3 550W
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer

I tested the PSU beforehand to make sure it works and it did. So I built the pc outside of the case to see if it all worked before I'd spent my time getting it in the case. Everything worked fine. I then proceeded to put everything in the case.

Now my issue is that when I turn the PC on, it runs fine. (I haven't installed an OS on it yet or anything because I haven't been able to yet) However after 20 ish seconds the PC turns itself off completely and then back on. It keeps repeating that process.

I've tried the following things because the internet suggested these solutions:
  • Remove the RAM sticks, make sure there's no dust on them and place them back in.
  • Remove the CPU fan and replace the thermal paste.
  • Check if all the cables are connected properly.

I'm still fairly new to hardware and PC building so there might be some things I've overlooked, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
I unfortunately don't have any spare RAM sticks. Would it be worth buying new ones and sending these back? Considering they're all new parts there's still warranty so, I can send them back and retrieve my money.

Ok, don't send the RAM back just yet unless you can confirm its the ram. If you have any other PC's at home, try plug in the ram to those. If it has the same issue, its the ram. If not, it's the motherboard.
Jul 19, 2018
I unfortunately don't have any spare RAM sticks. Would it be worth buying new ones and sending these back? Considering they're all new parts there's still warranty so, I can send them back and retrieve my money.

Ok, don't send the RAM back just yet unless you can confirm its the ram. If you have any other PC's at home, try plug in the ram to those. If it has the same issue, its the ram. If not, it's the motherboard.

Solution
Oct 16, 2019
Try doing this:
1. Remove all the RAM sticks, turn on the computer. If you hear few beeps in succession, that means the PC detects you have no RAM plugged in.

If that is the case, i can tell you what to try to do next since this is an issue i have had on my desktop as well.

Oct 19, 2019

I took a RAM stick from my own computer and put it in the new one. That seems to have solved it so it's definitely the RAM sticks that I bought that are a fault here. Thanks for narrowing down the problem for me and I'm sorry to hear you had the same issue with those specific sticks. I'll have to send them back and get some new ones then because I tried them on my own pc and I get the same issue as on the new pc.