My keyboard automatically stopped working. Lights turn on but freezes instantly.

bradinthat

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I have my razer keyboard, it worked flawless before now. Earlier my mouse was acting funny so I restarted my computer, and my mouse works ok but keyboard won't do anything. I can get to the password screen, but then no keys I press do anything to the computer. For example, when I hit control-alt-delete nothing happens. Or if I press caps lock nothing happens. From my understanding it is a software issue with my pc. Should I wipe my ssd and reinstall Windows?

Also, I tried another keyboard and had the same issue.

Thanks,
Brad

It may be down to the USB port you have the keyboard connected to.

I know for a fact that some keyboards don`t like it if you connect them to a USB 3.0 spec port.
And can suffer from freezing or none detection when loading to the windows login welcome screen or at the desktop.

Also some don`t like it if the USB 3.0 has a speed boost feature for UASP 3.0 mode, or when fast charging options of the Usb 3.0 are enabled in most cases in the bios of the motherboard.

You should always enable the option in your bios for detection of Usb legacy devices.
And also Compatibility Support Mode. CSM in your bios. Enable it if the option exists.

Or set to manual with hardware detection order set to Legacy / Uefi mode.

Saying that Razer drivers for the mouse and keyboard ranges can be a bit flaky, So I would try a complete removal of any software, or drivers for the keyboard were installed Brad.

bradinthat

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014

I tried using multiple USB ports. I didn't try to remove software or anything because I can't get past the password screen. thank you for your response.