Question My keyboard rebinded itself?

Mar 31, 2019
It all started when I replaced my laptop battery. After that, I realized that some of my keys like the b, s, or spacebar key didn't work. I used a keyboard tester after that, and it turns out those keys got rebinded. My s key turned into F12, my spacebar turned into the pause button(even though this a laptop), and a couple other keys also got displaced(insert key, escape key). I tried to change the keyboard language layout, but that didn't work. Then, I tried a system restore to try to revert my laptop to a state before this happened. However, after waiting for a day for the restore to finish, I decided to force shut my computer down and abort it(it was stuck on restoring registry). Does anyone know what happened, and if there is a fix?

Last edited:
If your computer is operational with Internet access at this point, I'd open Device Manager, delete the keyboard driver, and reboot. Windows will reload the driver, and hopefully that will fix the problem. Something must've corrupted that driver.

Mar 31, 2019
Appreciate the reply! I did also try to uninstall the PS/2 Keyboard and the 2 HID Keyboards I had on the device manager. It told me that in order to uninstall the PS/2 keyboard, I needed to restart. However, afterwards the problem still persisted. Any idea why?