[SOLVED] My Keyboards have random keys that sporadically dont respond

Aug 24, 2021
Hello, im sorry for my amateur knowledge, but I really didn't know where else to go for help. I recently (roughly 2 weeks ago) built a new computer. Specs are:
GTX 3070 TI
AMD Ryzen 5900x
Asus Tuf Gaming x570 pro (Wifi)
G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 64GB RAM

The problem im currently facing right now is that my keyboard that i've used for 5-ish years is having random moments within seconds of each other where the "A" key will stop responding. I play FPS games (Apex legends, Valorant, TitanFall2) and while playing, the A key will just stop working, then come back after trying to repeatedly push it for a few seconds, just to go back out and back in again. I plugged in a old Dell keyboard to test, and the new keyboard had the same issue, but with different keys (Q, E, Spacebar, etc) I've been searching through the internet for hours but cant exactly find an answer anywhere, just others asking questions that somewhat-but-not-completely fill my descriptions. I've already done a windows reinstall from an Audio issue with the motherboard (DTS custom not installing), so before I'm trying to use that as a last resort. is there anything anyone knows that could help me pinpoint the cause and get it fixed once and for all? i can answer questions and am open-minded to trying lots of things my caveman mind cant think of.

Thank you and sorry,
amateur Drew

Keyboards used are:
Main: Corsair K65 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Backup: Dell 6WMN0

extra info:
installed a few drivers for Mobo (not all), just the ones that looked important (LAN, Wireless, Chipset)
GPU has the latest Driver
BIOS is running on the latest driver (Flashbacked earlier today)

Last edited:
Solution
How is the 0.2 millisecond delay in the space bar being determined?

When you built the new computer what PSU did you use: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Take a closer look at ICUE and any macros or scenes that may be in place.

I, full disclosure, have neither keyboard and do not use ICUE.

However, I was curious about what all might be involved and found the following link:

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058597211-New-features-of-iCUE-4

Take a look at the "Keyboards" link in the left side column - very extensive.....

Ralston18

Titan
Being a new build something may be coming loose or may not even be completely in place.

Power down, unplug, open the case: Ensure that all cards, connectors, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Next is to update the keyboard drivers.

Manually download drivers via the applicable manufacturer's websites, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Also try your keyboards on another known working computer. Does the problem follow the keyboards?

Could be a Windows issue:

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Aug 24, 2021
Being a new build something may be coming loose or may not even be completely in place.

Power down, unplug, open the case: Ensure that all cards, connectors, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Next is to update the keyboard drivers.

Manually download drivers via the applicable manufacturer's websites, reinstall, and reconfigure.

Also try your keyboards on another known working computer. Does the problem follow the keyboards?

Could be a Windows issue:

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

Thank you for reaching out to me so quickly. I've spent the last 2.5 hours going through what you posted, and here were the results.

I opened my tower up and made sure everything was good and that nothing was seating "awkwardly". the only note i had about this was that the 3070 ti is pretty heavy, and I can visually see the end not supported by the brackets was curving downwards. when putting the case back on, i angled the power cables so it would some "slight" support.

I got my brother to use the keyboard on his game for around 10-15 minutes of "Zero Hour" gameplay, and he had absolutely 0 issues, keyboard functioned as intended.

Keyboard drivers, the k65 RGB is what i feel is a pretty old product. I have "ICUE" installed (Corsair Gamings software). checked for updates, told me i had the latest version (v 3.08). i forced another update anyways (keyboard bug still happened after) and I ended things there. I did uninstall ICUE as well, and admittedly, I noticed the bug im experiencing has gone down significantly, but about 4 minutes into a session of valorant, I had 2 instances the "A" Key wouldn't register.

I did some troubleshooting through windows just to check things, everything came back clean except bluetooth, it told me it fixed some settings and that was that. Tested for bug, still happened.

I went through the "sfc /scannow" process and it told me it fixed some files. sent a log somewhere, (EDIT:) Tried posting the file but im just not finding how to send files through my thread. It's chock-full of so much text i figured copy pasting would be a no go here. if theres something i can use or do, please let me know.

I also did DISM, it responded telling me the operation completed successfully.

Im trying to observe as much as I can for any "patterns", and I know i say the "A" Key is whats going on, but im slowly seeing that sometimes my spacebar will be delayed by 0.2 miliseconds, just want to throw this out as there could be more than what im experiencing regularly.

Uninstalling ICUE was the last thing i did, and i have noticed that the wierd "bug" is less active, but still present. where it would happen a handful of times (too many to count), I get single digit numbers of experiencing the bug. Could this be the motherboard? I'm at a loss for what to try next.

Thank you again for your patience and time.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
How is the 0.2 millisecond delay in the space bar being determined?

When you built the new computer what PSU did you use: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Take a closer look at ICUE and any macros or scenes that may be in place.

I, full disclosure, have neither keyboard and do not use ICUE.

However, I was curious about what all might be involved and found the following link:

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360058597211-New-features-of-iCUE-4

Take a look at the "Keyboards" link in the left side column - very extensive.....

Solution