My KN9 SLI aint talking to me no more...

Johnny_C

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Mobo: Abit KN9-SLi NF570 SLI, S AM2, PCI-E, DDR2 800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX
Memory: 1Gb (2X512Mb) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15
Graphics: 2 x XpertVision GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3, PCI-E, DVI, SLI
CPU: AMD AM2 Athlon 64 4200+ Windsor Core, Dual Core 2.2GHz, 2x 512KB Cache
P/S: Jenair 450W P/S (OEM packaging)
Coolermaster case of some sort
Logitech cordless mouse/keyboard - PS2 connectors (not USB)

I set this new system up after my old mobo fried.

After much trial and tribulation (e.g. sata doesn't work when you forgot to connect the cable) I got it going. Loaded XP Home okay. When I tracked down the right detonator drivers (86.64 IIRC) the SLI bridge worked a treat.

I had the problems with the graphics voltage but I set it to max/min settings to shut the damn thing from beeping, and then replaced the original gfx card anyway as it was crap. It doesn't beep now but maybe that's cause it's still at max threshold levels. it's also a bit choosy about which USB you use, my missus's Ipod will only work on a USB at the back.

So, mostly it was working okay.

Except occasionally a little box would come up saying either a jack had been unexpectedly unplugged or sometimes it would say a jack had been unexpectedly plugged in. It would make the usual boings when a device is connected or disconnected. This was odd, because there was only the two speaker connections and they weren't being touched and were plugged in properly.

When I clicked the X to close the box, the mouse. keyboard and system in general would freeze, hang and stay hung. Case switch wouldn't work either, so I had to reset at the power supply.

So I decided to try and flash the BIOS. I used the Abit programme off the CD, and chose the top left option which was along the lines on 'One click automatically update with the latest driver'. I was online so I chose this option. The least options I have to mess it up the better. It connected, ran a few progress bars, and then came up with the message 'You have the option set to clear CMOS'. I thought fine, it's not overclocked, I can enable the SATA from the boot screen, and clicked 'ok'.

At this point it hung; mouse.keyboard doing nothing (and they flash when you press something normally, but not in this case). I left it for about 10 mins, and decided to reboot from the mains. This I did.

When I turned it on, the power came on, the DVD and CDs lit up briefly, but the screen stayed blank and it didn't even do the boot 'beep' - just sat there. I waited 5 mins to see if it just needed a bit of quality time to sort itself out but no joy.

SO I checked the manual and did what they said. Rebooted pressing the insert key a few times. Then I reset the CMOS using the jumpers, removing the battery and disconnecting the power lead for a minute and a half. Still no joy.

So, when I turn it on, it comes to life, but doesn't beep and no signal goes to the screen so the screen just sits there in power-saving mode.

I phoned Abit UK (I live in the UK) but they only have a working help desk for 2 random minutes a day, and despite their magnificent customer service pledge don't seem to bother themselves too much about replying to the online email query.

Can anyone tell me how to reset it back to factory bios version, if this is even possible with a screwdriver and set of pliers? I also have a large sledgehammer if that's any use.

Failing that if they'll take it back and give me a refund I'll get a foxconn or something else that works more than 50% of the time.

Cheers

Waste_cadet1986

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Im having a simmilar problem. i also have a kn9 sli, 1 gig ocz platinum ddr2 6400 single core 3800+ 2 xfx 7600gt dvdrw 160gig sata 2 hdd but mine wont save any cmos settings. try clearing the cmos again, reset, dont enter cmos, just try and boot into windows and use abit flashmenu, you can download the original 1.0 bios rom from abits website and then update from that file

Johnny_C

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks, but after looking at the abit forums and realising how many people had similar problems to me (gfx board voltages, USBs locking, the mysterious 'plug disconnected' messages and regular freezes, I sent the abit board back and got a new mobo - Foxconn C51XEM2AA.

MUCH better board, worked out of the box, hasn't hung once, gfx SLI bridge worked first time, plus you get the windows utilities for o'clocking. I won't be buying Abit again!

TRENDING THREADS