[SOLVED] My LAN connection only reaches 100Mb, even though both sides support 1Gb?

Apr 16, 2021
I recently got Gigabit fiber. It is connected to a Zyxel VMG8825-T50 modem. Through Wi-Fi I get roughly 200Mb on my laptop. Surprisingly, through Ethernet (using a cat5e cable, exact model: Cablexpert MOD8716309, brand new, 15m) I get only around ~95Mb. Checking on my router's homepage, I get this:

As far as I can tell, both my modem and my laptop (exact model number Lenovo Legion Y530 81LB00BWBM) support Gigabit through Ethernet.
Here are some things that I have already tried:

1. Switch the Ethernet cable to different ports on the Router
-No effect, all ports say 100Mb/s
2. Change my internet card's speed and duplex from Auto-negotiate to 1000Mb/s, Full Duplex
-No effect, speed is still listed as 100Mb/s
3. Restarting my router
-No effect
4. Connecting the Ethernet cable to another laptop, also a Legion Y530, but a newer model
-No effect, speed is still listed as 100Mb/s
5. Update internet card drivers
-Already up to date

I'm lost. I don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome.

Solution
If you can get a cat6 cable for less than cat5e then it is fine. Cat6 will give no advantage over cat5e. Problem is a lot of the cat6 cables are fake, copper is expensive so to get the price down they use small wires or aluminum wires with copper coating.
That router is a pain to find doc on.

So if it actually has gigabit lan ports then the problem must be the cable. You have tried other ports and machines so all that is left is the cable. In some ways you are lucky it broke on both machines. Many people the cables work on some machines and not others.

You need nothing real special. Cat5e from a reputible vendor. You want pure copper cable (no CCA) and need wire size 22-24 ( no flat or thin cables)

Apr 16, 2021
That router is a pain to find doc on.

So if it actually has gigabit lan ports then the problem must be the cable. You have tried other ports and machines so all that is left is the cable. In some ways you are lucky it broke on both machines. Many people the cables work on some machines and not others.

You need nothing real special. Cat5e from a reputible vendor. You want pure copper cable (no CCA) and need wire size 22-24 ( no flat or thin cables)
I see. Shame that this one doesn't work. I will get a new one. Would a cat6 also be good?

If you can get a cat6 cable for less than cat5e then it is fine. Cat6 will give no advantage over cat5e. Problem is a lot of the cat6 cables are fake, copper is expensive so to get the price down they use small wires or aluminum wires with copper coating.

Solution
Apr 16, 2021
Update: I ordered a new cable. In the meantime I saw that the modem came with a short cat5e cable in the box, plugged it in and sure enough - 1000Mb. Thank you for the help!

TRENDING THREADS