[SOLVED] My LAN speeds through wifi are a joke, will a new router help?

Jan 5, 2019
I'm new to this forum and to networking in general but I have a few questions about my LAN speed over wifi.

First off I am in the UK and I have normal Sky broadband at 16Mb/s or around 2MB/s with the default Sky Hub they give you.

I use a Plex media server on my main gaming PC which works perfect for streaming 1080p content around the house but I have recently gotten into Steam in-home game streaming which doesn't work so well unless literally nobody is using the internet, so no Plex streaming and no on-line videos in order to get a stable 720p game stream.

I stream games from my gaming PC to my laptop, both are in different rooms connected to the same router, both computers get 2MB/s to the internet but can only get a maximum speed of 1MB/s through local connections for some reason which makes streaming games hard. It's weird because I have always thought that LAN speeds are generally faster than internet speeds.

If someone can tell what's wrong here just from this, that would be great. But I'll elaborate further...

What I was thinking of doing was buying a new third party router to connect to the normal sky router through Ethernet but use this new router as my "local-connections" router to hopefully increase my LAN speeds and make streaming games a bit nicer. I know my laptop's wifi adaper supports up to 300Mbps but I am not sure about my gaming PC because the wifi adapter I would normally use on there doesn't connect to the router when the router is using "54g Performance mode", whatever that is... I just know 54g is faster than the other mode the router has which is 802.11b. So for my gaming PC right now I use some weird proprietary wireless adapter normally meant for a Sky HD box as it came with the Sky box.

Should I try a new router and connect through that or just try a new wireless adapter for my gaming PC or both? Or perhaps something else all-together, I am on a tight budget but I am open to ideas, sorry for the lengthy post.

Thank you.

Quick edit: Will a 5GHz router help or is that just awful at going through walls? Since it would have to go through about 3 walls and a floor.

Solution
Two computers, both using WIFI for streaming are "fighting" with each other for time. WIFI can only do 1 thing at a time (transmit or listen). Even the router can only do 1 thing. So two PCs trying to stream, both on WIFI will conflict.

But if you have a router that is wireless G is really old. A dual band AC router is the current standard. The AC1900 is the sweet spot for price performance. There are lots of used Asus RT-AC68U routers on E-Bay for about $60. That would be my recommendation. You would turn OFF the WIFI on the Skybox and connect the Asus to Skybox. Set the Asus in access point (AP) mode.

If you are streaming to a Laptop, why not move it to close to the router and connect via wired when you are streaming to it?

kanewolf

Titan
Two computers, both using WIFI for streaming are "fighting" with each other for time. WIFI can only do 1 thing at a time (transmit or listen). Even the router can only do 1 thing. So two PCs trying to stream, both on WIFI will conflict.

But if you have a router that is wireless G is really old. A dual band AC router is the current standard. The AC1900 is the sweet spot for price performance. There are lots of used Asus RT-AC68U routers on E-Bay for about $60. That would be my recommendation. You would turn OFF the WIFI on the Skybox and connect the Asus to Skybox. Set the Asus in access point (AP) mode.

If you are streaming to a Laptop, why not move it to close to the router and connect via wired when you are streaming to it?

Solution
Jan 5, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply, I was looking at this router, do you think it would be good, it seems like good value for money to me.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Archer-C50-V3-AC1200/dp/B075PDLQ2Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546742723&sr=8-3&keywords=Router#