Question My laptop fan is making weird noises

sbrookes916

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
My laptop fans are often turned off, as I only ever use the laptop for light loads. However, sometimes on startup, and sometimes randomly, my fans will come on very powerfully (too much for the temperature my laptop is at). When they are on very loudly, there is a chance my laptop fans will start making a very loud clicking noise, which will only stop if the fans turn off.
I have already replaced both the laptop fans, and cleaned the area around them, to no avail. I have also double-checked that there are no wires in the way of the fans.
The fact that my laptop fans turn on to full randomly makes me think there is a software problem. Maybe the solution is to turn my laptop fans max speeds down, but I cant figure out how. I have a HP - Pavilion 14-ce3520sa

Lutfij

Titan
When they are on very loudly, there is a chance my laptop fans will start making a very loud clicking noise, which will only stop if the fans turn off.
This is caused by the fan brushing up against the frame of the laptop or the cooler's own housing. Likely due to terrible quality of the fan considering you've replaced the fan in the laptop.

Have you checked to see if replacing the thermal paste on the laptop changes anything? As a side note, might want to see if undervolting your processor changes your temps as well.

Out of curiosity, can you elaborate on this;
I have already replaced both the laptop fans
Since I'm seeing that the laptop doesn't come with a discrete GPU(per the specs listed here). Meaning that the laptop will likely come with one fan that is connected to the heatpipe, cooling the processor and it's iGPU alone.

What OS are you working with?

sbrookes916

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
Have you checked to see if replacing the thermal paste on the laptop changes anything? As a side note, might want to see if undervolting your processor changes your temps as well.
I haven't tried replacing the thermal paste, my laptop temp is pretty healthy, as I don't do much on it (max 50/55)

Since I'm seeing that the laptop doesn't come with a discrete GPU(per the specs listed here). Meaning that the laptop will likely come with one fan that is connected to the heatpipe, cooling the processor and it's iGPU alone.
My laptop comes with two fans, and I have replaced both of them .

What OS are you working with?
Currently working with windows 10, would upgrading it be a good idea?