[SOLVED] My laptop freezes and fans goes full blast when not plugged in.

Mar 5, 2022
Hello guys,

I own a legion y540-15irh laptop (i5 9300H and GTX 1660ti) for 2 years now, but recently I'm having problems with it for the first time.
A couple of weeks ago I started getting several BSOD in my laptop when it wasn't plugged in (every 3 or 5 minutes). I thought that it might be due to overheating, because it was summer here in my country, but checked the temperatures with MSI Afterburner and everything was fine. From there on, I had a lot of problems with this laptop when it's not charging: Fans go full blast within 2 or 3 minutes of disconnect the laptop from the charger and 1 minute later the laptop freezes and I have to turn it off by keeping pressed the power button for several seconds; I have also experienced lag when gaming and crashes in Battlefield 1 stating that the "The video card has been physically removed from the system" (this was solved by updating the GPU drivers but it was the first time that I had this error).
Some people told me that it might be some issue with my ram, but I don't know why it only happens when the laptop it's not charging, please guys I need your help!!
Note: Sometimes the laptop works properly without charging, but it's kinda rare.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your reply, sadly, the warranty has expired, but I still have the doubt of why I only have this problem when the laptop is not charging.

That would not be attributed to your system's RAM. That would either be a faulty logic board (motherboard) or a bad charger / power unit. If it's the logic board or the unit that powers your laptop, then your whole system is screwed. But if it's a bad charger that can be replaced.

g-unit1111

Titan
Some people told me that it might be some issue with my ram, but I don't know why it only happens when the laptop it's not charging, please guys I need your help!!

I can't imagine that would be a RAM issue - whoever said that probably doesn't know what they are talking about. I would say that it's more the fault of the system motherboard than anything else. If your system is still under warranty I'd contact Lenovo and they will most likely offer a replacement.

Mar 5, 2022
I can't imagine that would be a RAM issue - whoever said that probably doesn't know what they are talking about. I would say that it's more the fault of the system motherboard than anything else. If your system is still under warranty I'd contact Lenovo and they will most likely offer a replacement.
Thank you for your reply, sadly, the warranty has expired, but I still have the doubt of why I only have this problem when the laptop is not charging.

g-unit1111

Titan

That would not be attributed to your system's RAM. That would either be a faulty logic board (motherboard) or a bad charger / power unit. If it's the logic board or the unit that powers your laptop, then your whole system is screwed. But if it's a bad charger that can be replaced.

Solution
Mar 5, 2022
Thanks man, I hope it's just the charger