My laptop gets faster internet speeds than my desktop using the same Ethernet cable?

ddak08

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hello, I just managed to wire an Ethernet cable from the router downstairs up to my room through the walls. When I run a speed test on my laptop I can get up to 320 Mbps with the Ethernet cable plugged in, of course. When I switch that same cable over to my desktop and run a speed test using the same website, http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html , it maxes out at around 60 Mbps. The cable is Cat5e.

I have tried updating my drivers, I have also gone into the chip properties and tried switching the speed&duplex setting to 1Gb/s, found under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections.

I bought a dell XPS 8700 special edition about 2 years ago but have upgraded the graphics card, case, and got an SSD for my main drive. The motherboard i have currently is the one that came with the Dell XPS about 2 years ago.

The only logical reason I am thinking of, is the motherboard is restricting the speeds. Do I need a new motherboard?

Without knowing the motherboard model and the chipset used for it's integrated network adapter, my first guess would be that either the laptop has a Gigabit Ethernet adapter while the desktop has an older adapter, the desktop adapter has a problem or you need to find out what chipset the network adapter is using and update or reinstall the drivers for it.

I'd probably start by going into control panel, double clicking your network adapter under Network adapters and select "update driver software", then update automatically, and see if there are newer drivers available. If not, I'd right click the adapter and select "uninstall" then go up to the Action menu at the top of the device manager and select "Scan for hardware" changes and allow it to reset.

ddak08

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

The drivers are already up to date, and the chip i'm using is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller I believe?

Up to date according to what, windows? If that's the case, then it's really not up to date, but it doesn't matter even if it is. Could have been a bad setting or bad driver install. Could even just be an issue with the integrated adapter. The GBE family adapter is a rather low end network chipset and prone to problematic behavior on some versions.

What is your Windows version and bit depth?

ddak08

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

That is very true, although it does tell me that the last driver install was 4/1/2015..

My OS is Windows 10 64bit. Should I consider a usb ethernet adapter?

ddak08

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Your a live saver. Thank you so much for your quick responses and for the solution. It is now working perfectly, thank you again, have a great day!

trainer2

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

darkbreeze, once more your help here has been appreciated! My situation’s similar albeit far less complex, I expect. One Gateway LT with Win8 and Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) vs Dell LT (same vintage with lesser components/numbers), Win7, and Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. Same cable is alternately plugged into each with the Dell achieving 95mbps (avg) while the Gateway can make only 62. Identical browsers utilize the same online speed test. Without a Realtek driver support option at Qualcomm, what’s a would-be Comcast customer to do (btw no luck reloading, etc., the driver and baseboard model # also not available in Sys Info)? Either way have a great holiday!