[SOLVED] My Laptop Got Tea Spilled All Over It

Mar 28, 2022
I spilled tea over the laptop while I was gaming. The laptop immediately turned off .i immediately unplugged the power supply and took it to the sink to be held upside down. The tea was coming out of the keyboard. I then performed a general wipe on the whole laptop and tried to open it. It went to windows diagnostics and said a critical windows file is missing. I closed the laptop and had put it upside down for the last 24 hours. It was blown by a fan next to it. What should be my next move?

Solution
There is a high likelihood of damage to the components, as with any electronic device that liquid gets inside. It can short connections, cause damage from the electricity taking paths the PCB is not designed for. In addition, the residue can cause additional problems.

Keep in mind that unless you took the battery out immediately as well, that there was power still on the board.

The hope would be that your quick action in draining the unit may have helped. Perhaps the keyboard membrane kept the larger part of the liquid out.

Do remember to fully disassemble and clean the keys and membrane or you are likely to have sticky or not working keys as well.
Mar 28, 2022
if you have harddrive and tea got there through air hole...well it might not be just single file missing..drive will need replacement
otherwise fully dry it, then clean it with isopropyl alcohol then dry it again
nexttime no drinks near electronics ;)
do you think there will be any serious damage to it? Since it turned off once the water spilled on it. And when should I boot up the laptop?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is a high likelihood of damage to the components, as with any electronic device that liquid gets inside. It can short connections, cause damage from the electricity taking paths the PCB is not designed for. In addition, the residue can cause additional problems.

Keep in mind that unless you took the battery out immediately as well, that there was power still on the board.

The hope would be that your quick action in draining the unit may have helped. Perhaps the keyboard membrane kept the larger part of the liquid out.

Do remember to fully disassemble and clean the keys and membrane or you are likely to have sticky or not working keys as well.

Solution
Mar 28, 2022

I opened my laptop just now and it works just fine. Although when I booted it up it went to auto repair and then went to black screen for 15 seconds.it suddenly popped up the asus log in screen and booted up like normal. What should be my next step. I tried the keyboard every key seems fine. Although it seems a little less clicky.i ran a diagnostic tool nothing to report.