Question my laptop gpu is running 70% speed

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi , i have a fx505 with 1650 gpu.... i dont play game that much, but it use to run 1600-1700 mhz up to yesterday. now it tun 1250-1300 and furmark Score dropped from 23fps on fullHD mssa 8X to just 16 fps.

i did remove driver with ddu, but it didn't help.

gpu is running 55°C now.... it use to be 66-67 before.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might check your battery. Many laptops will actually drain the battery even when plugged in to make up for a power deficit. If your battery is not working well you system may be power throttling.

Could also be overheating of the motherboard power delivery, but that is harder to verify.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Use either GPU-Z or HWiNFO, run something on the GPU, and see what the Performance Limit (PerfCap) reason is.
pwr in furmark

idle in god of war with really low fps.
it shows gpu 1390mhz in gpu.

i guess I should also mentioned that i changed thermal paste yesterday but it was ok after i turned it on and done some stress test

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
i retype it....

i just changed my fx 505 thermal paste with thermal grizzly aeronaut..
it use to work fine yesterday but its problematic now.
frequency dropped from 1700 to 1250 in furmark and 1390 in god of war game.
in gpu z its mentioned that limitations is due to pwr (in furmark test) and idle (gow game).

temperature is 60© .... yesterday after reapply t.p it was 67.... and before everything, it was 76...

already tried DDU and reinstalled driver. didn't work.
i highly appreciate if anyone could help me.

“Pwr” in FurMark makes sense. “Idle” in a game, assuming these are settings that can let the card g all out, is concerning. When you replaced the thermal paste, did you also use new thermal pads and such? Typically if you let it go that long before replacement of paste, you should do everything.

On a note about power deliver, it’s a myth that both the battery and power adapter can power the computer. If the battery is draining despite the adapter being plugged in, that’s more a sign the adapter or charging circuit has trouble.

Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
“Pwr” in FurMark makes sense. “Idle” in a game, assuming these are settings that can let the card g all out, is concerning. When you replaced the thermal paste, did you also use new thermal pads and such? Typically if you let it go that long before replacement of paste, you should do everything.

On a note about power deliver, it’s a myth that both the battery and power adapter can power the computer. If the battery is draining despite the adapter being plugged in, that’s more a sign the adapter or charging circuit has trouble.
i didn't change pads. just gpu and cpu.

i guess both battery and charger working fine. i have set the setting to 80% and its on that% right now

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
quick update:
for some reason, if i unplug zhe laptop, fps drops to 6 and if i replug it , it goes to full 23 fps as it were before.
if i reset, same problem happening again.

basically its like this .
furmark Fhd 8XMssa
15 pluged in.
6 on battery
23 and working fine if i replug.

it wasn't like this before

quick update:
for some reason, if i unplug zhe laptop, fps drops to 6 and if i replug it , it goes to full 23 fps as it were before.
if i reset, same problem happening again.

basically its like this .
furmark Fhd 8XMssa
15 pluged in.
6 on battery
23 and working fine if i replug.

it wasn't like this before
Does this happen every time after the computer goes to sleep or shuts down? Or does this seem to happen just because?