My laptop has maximum resulation of 1280x720. i want to connect it with samsung

margiajui

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
my laptop has maximum resulation of 1280x720. i want to connect it with samsung 46 inch smart tv which demands resulation of 1920x1080. how can i connect my laptop and TV? i tried with HDMI cable but as the resulation of my TV is not supported by my laptop, i could not connect my TV as monitor. please help me with solutions.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's really strange. I have 3 Samsung HDTVs in my house and have connected my old Gateway 1280x720 laptop to all of them. 2 are 1080p and 1 is 720p. I think I would contact Samsung and ask them why it won't display an image from a 720p laptop.

margiajui

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
im planning to go to samsung showroom today with my laptop and cable and will ask them to connect it with one of their same model TV. problem is, i am in china and i do not speak chinese... very hard to communicate! :(

margiajui

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

hey,i went to samsung show room today with my laptop, in none of their TV models my laptop worked. they tried another brand of laptop which worked on all their TV, then they took another brand new acer laptop to check if its problem with my laptop or not, but that new acer also didnt connect with samsung. then we tried other few brands of TV to connect with acer...and surprisingly none of them worked with acer, weird!! what to do??

Darkoil

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
On a samsung TV the HDMI channel is not seen as a PC source and as such when you connect it will say no signal. Try this, plug in your laptop with HDMI to the TV and press the button on the laptop which changes the screen output. Then with the TV remote press source and then highlight hdmi 1 but instead of selecting it press tools and it should bring up a new menu where you should be able to change the HDMI 1 source so it has the subtitle of PC.
If this doesn't work check something and report back, when you have your laptop connected to the TV, is the TV detected in device manager under monitors?

margiajui

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
TV is connected as a new device in my laptop,but it doesnt show when i try to select it as monitor. on my TV, when i connect the laptop, that particular HDMI port is highlighted. but it shows an error that "chech the device settings or the cable". i changed the cable too... no result. i did the step as you said abut clicking the tools button .. no result!

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Also some laptops won't switch to output automatically, you have to use a function key

eg. Fn + F*

If the same tv can pick up signal from other laptops, then your laptop is just not outputting anything, you should also be able to switch it from Nvidia/Windows Control panel