Question My laptop is completely fried.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
Second post and last before I legitimately give up pc gaming forever. I am tired of having problems that even people with 30+ years of pc experience tell me I'm "making XXXX up" or "just restart" etc. If this issue cannot be solved PC's and hardware isn't for me, I'm too poor and don't have the time to spend each paycheck on a "chance" for something to work.
Anyways, I have a Gigabyte G5 KC-5US1130SH.
Make: Gigabyte
Model: G5 KC-5US1130SH
Graphics: RTX GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU - has Intel UHD Graphics as well.
CPU: Intel i5-10500H CPU 2.5GHZ
16 GB Memory
1 512gb SSD and 1 2tb nvme (soon to replace 512gb with another 2tb nvme and reinstalling windows onto it) - drivers both not near full
PSU: Chicony A17-180P4A AC 180W 19.5V, always plugged in (Assuming this is asking about the charger)
Condition: Bought new, never moved from my desk, pristine on the exterior. No parts are damaged internally I know of.
History of gaming use: Moderate to heavy game use (I always bump graphics and stuff down to where my temps are normal and my PC isn't chugging)
I've flawlessly played video games for the year or so I've had this, as soon as I started playing Elden Ring when it came out, my pc crashes a couple times a day.
If I have any program that is more demanding than Opera, Discord, or Spotify (any game nonmatter what game) , after a few mins the fans will stop, all displays go black, its as if I told it to shut down.
Reliability history shows "Windows was not shut down properly" and that is IT. No more info is given or any other crash reports other than the game I was playing saying the exe shut down.
I have the pre-installed software to control fan speeds and have my fans on MAX if I play ANYTHING.
I must say this in bold because people will NOT believe me and still waste a comment on this. I HAVE WATCHED THE TEMPERATURES MANY MANY TIMES BEFORE AND WHEN IT CRASHES. IT IS NOT OVERHEATING. STOP SAYING "SOUNDS LIKE A HEAT ISSUE"
I think I am just going to keep my pc for using the browser but when it comes to doing anything else it has turned into a beast of a laptop to a thousand dollar piece of literal XXXX that has 0 redeeming qualities. I hate it.
---- In addition, my pc a few days ago started having fluctuation gpu, cpu and memory usage, going from 50% to 100% every second and just jumping, horrible performance stutters because of it and games i used to get 200-500 frames in i cant get over 60. Idfk.

[Note: Moderator edits "XXXX" to remove profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly forum.]

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used?). History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Overall, the posted symptoms indicate a faltering/failing PSU/Power supply.....

And Reliability History is likely confirming that. Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are a symptom as well.

Look in Event Viewer - there may be more information there.

Remember that you can click any given errors for more details. However, the details may or may not be helpful.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used?). History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

= = = =

Overall, the posted symptoms indicate a faltering/failing PSU/Power supply.....

And Reliability History is likely confirming that. Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are a symptom as well.

Look in Event Viewer - there may be more information there.

Remember that you can click any given errors for more details. However, the details may or may not be helpful.
Updated OP

Ralston18

Titan
I think that the laptop's power "systems" are starting to falter and fail.

They simply can no longer keep up with sudden and/or peak power demands.

Such things can happen very, very quickly and cause a shutdown before measurable temperatures even get measured and reported.

Do you see signs of dust in and around the vents? Has the laptop ever been opened for cleaning and maintenance?

As a starter - FYI:

https://ecocostsavings.com/laptop-charger-voltage/

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to safely use it? Or know someone who does?

The charger can be tested for problems to some extent:

https://handtoolsforfun.com/how-to-test-laptop-charger-with-a-multimeter/

Otherwise try another known working charger matching the current charger's specs.

The laptop may be receiving the necessary 19 v via the charger - that would be good.

However, if there are problems providing and maintaining 5 volt and 3 volt services thereafter then the laptop will crash/shutdown.

If the charger is not the problem then it is likely that the laptop will need servicing: cleaning, inspection, testing, and perhaps some component(s) replaced.

Probably not a DIY repair for most people.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
I think that the laptop's power "systems" are starting to falter and fail.

They simply can no longer keep up with sudden and/or peak power demands.

Such things can happen very, very quickly and cause a shutdown before measurable temperatures even get measured and reported.

Do you see signs of dust in and around the vents? Has the laptop ever been opened for cleaning and maintenance?

As a starter - FYI:

https://ecocostsavings.com/laptop-charger-voltage/

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to safely use it? Or know someone who does?

The charger can be tested for problems to some extent:

https://handtoolsforfun.com/how-to-test-laptop-charger-with-a-multimeter/

Otherwise try another known working charger matching the current charger's specs.

The laptop may be receiving the necessary 19 v via the charger - that would be good.

However, if there are problems providing and maintaining 5 volt and 3 volt services thereafter then the laptop will crash/shutdown.

If the charger is not the problem then it is likely that the laptop will need servicing: cleaning, inspection, testing, and perhaps some component(s) replaced.

Probably not a DIY repair for most people.
Little to no dust - I cleaned it once probably 6 months ago to put in a NVME.
I can try to test the laptop charger. It is the one it came with. What confuses me about that being the solution is if I have a battery in my laptop and can unplug my power cord whenever I want and it still stays on, how would that effect if my charger wasn't constantly charging it at full capacity?
Wouldn't it just cause slower performance or maybe my laptop to charge slower/die slowly, not a complete system crash? I'm the noob here on the other hand so please correct my ignorance.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
Is the laptop battery still working and holding a charge?
An absolutely miniscule charge ( 10 mins if I'm playing a game, 20-30 TOPS if it is on desktop.)
I feel that is expected though as for a lot of my games are on performance mode and are drawing as much power as possible.
I never play with it off the charger anyways.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
Did you try a factory restore to a clean Windows setup already? Did you mess with anything in the BIOS for performance tweaks or with software like MIS afterburner?
I am going to do a clean install of windows on a new NVME and replace the SSD the laptop came with, with it. - Has not been done yet though I'll update if that makes a difference.
I haven't done a single think to my bios EXCEPT update it (this was after the problem arose) and I've never overclocked or done anything of that sort with afterburner.

Ralston18

Titan
It is my thought that the laptop's internal power components are the source of the problem.

The ecocostsavings link in Post #5 offers some explanations about what all is involved.

For more general information and explanation:

https://boxhoidap.com/laptop-motherboard-short-circuit-symptoms#how-the-ac-adapter-works

Again you can find other similar links by changing the search criteria and filtering.

The details can and do vary. Most likely the specifics are in the applicable manufacturer's (Gigabyte) technical reference/repair manuals.