[SOLVED] my laptop is hacked?

dramacydal

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
MY laptop is hacked for sure? i left my laptop on and then went for a shower, came back 20-30 mins was hearing sounds, i thought maybe just windows noises, then after few minutes saw the screen >the mouse was moving, and something like this app cannot run on your pc, i snapped and shut my laptop down.

Now posted here, what to do next, How do i safe guard. Who could it be?

Solution
No. Anything you invoke from within the existing OS is suspect.

This instead:

RealBeast

Titan
MY laptop is hacked for sure? i left my laptop on and then went for a shower, came back 20-30 mins was hearing sounds, i thought maybe just windows noises, then after few minutes saw the screen >the mouse was moving, and something like this app cannot run on your pc, i snapped and shut my laptop down.

Now posted here, what to do next, How do i safe guard. Who could it be?
If the mouse cursor was moving without you, very likely a remote desktop program. Turn off remote access like THIS and then scan for viruses, etc.

And personally, I would change any passwords to sensitive sites such as financial related stuff ASAP.

I'd flatten that installation; delete all partitions and start over, not trusting any one or two AV scanners to for 100% sure find whatever Remote Access Tool someone might have been using. Hook up a flash drive installer USB, and start over!

"Best to take off and nuke the site from orbit....; it's the only way to be sure!"

Corporal Hicks, Colonial Marines

Reactions: punkncat

dramacydal

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
If the mouse cursor was moving without you, very likely a remote desktop program. Turn off remote access like THIS and then scan for viruses, etc.

And personally, I would change any passwords to sensitive sites such as financial related stuff ASAP.

thanks for this,
I really dont wanna nuke with the headache of re installing everything

thanks for this,
I really dont wanna nuke with the headache of re installing everything

Hi dramacydal.

Teamviewer was installed on your machine without you knowing it. You should take this seriously. Your system is blown open to whoever is doing this to you.

That torrent had a malware in it. That gave the people who put that malware there access to your system and do whatever they want with it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
i did download a game from torrents last week, maybe it could be this? it looks like teamviewer was installed yesterday to without my permission.
This is one of the many reasons to not steal games via torrents and dubious websites. Only get from legitimate sources. Yes, that means you have to pay for them.

Tom's Hardware does not support any form of software piracy. None. Period.

Reactions: RealBeast
D

Deleted member 14196

i did download a game from torrents last week, maybe it could be this? it looks like teamviewer was installed yesterday to without my permission.
Downloading illegal stuff is always a terrible idea and this is what you get

Format the drive install windows clean and stop stealing software. And you won’t have these issues

dramacydal

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Full wipe and reinstall! You were being watched through your webcam and the person on the other end knew you stepped away. He was watching you and listening to your every word. :ptdr:

:(
Ok ill nuke it in couple days, can i forget the wifi connection and use it offline or he could still have access to my wifi?

I installed the game about 1 week, so he was watching me since. can he hack save passwords? my phone shares same google chrome signed in the laptop, can he see them or google has protected.

USAFRet

Titan
:(
Ok ill nuke it in couple days, can i forget the wifi connection and use it offline or he could still have access to my wifi?

I installed the game about 1 week, so he was watching me since. can he hack save passwords? my phone shares same google chrome signed in the laptop, can he see them or google has protected.
He can do everything on that system that you can. And more.
I wouldn't use that laptop at all.

All your data, all your passwords...compromised.

Reactions: kurdtnz and COLGeek

dramacydal

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Right now i put it on and malwarebytes said trojan blocked dont have anything important on this laptop. Can i save by anti virus?

just to be clear nuke and reformat is the same thing right?

ill go to upgrade and security/recovery/ reset the pc/ remove everything - correct way or i need some usb?

USAFRet

Titan
No. Anything you invoke from within the existing OS is suspect.

This instead:

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Aside from the downloaded game via torrent.

Are you a minor living in your parents home?
Do they have access to your laptop?
Have you asked them if they have installed Team Viewer in order to keep tabs on your computer usage?

Team Viewer would have allowed for the "remote desktop" usage you were seeing, but there is a process to it and the person installing would have either had to have physical contact with the computer, or some other remote program in place such as remote assistance, etc. to put it there in the first place. I am 110% sure there are ways to do such things I am not aware of, and there are a lot of smart folks here giving great suggestions above. My point being, it COULD just be your rents being responsible and watching out.

edit, to clarify. IF a remote hacker had the authority to actually install Team Viewer on your computer, they didn't NEED to install Team Viewer. TV is not a stealth program. It doesn't run in the background without notice. I would suspect family, room mate, such MUCH more than the above scenario.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
edit, to clarify. IF a remote hacker had the authority to actually install Team Viewer on your computer, they didn't NEED to install Team Viewer. TV is not a stealth program. It doesn't run in the background without notice. I would suspect family, room mate, such MUCH more than the above scenario.
True, but no one ever accused this script kiddie hackers of being competent.
TV could easily have just been included within the bogus game install.

Reactions: punkncat
D

Deleted member 14196

Shouldn't defender have stopped malware etc.....?
how can it defend against ignorance of downloading illegal stuff loaded with virus. And how, pray tell, can ANY product protect you from everything?

if you deal in ill gotten software you deserve what you get. period

#1. Do not connect that system to internet. Period

#2. Back up your data.

#3. Full wipe of your disk and reinstall Windows immediately. No it's ands or buts.
#4. Before you put your data back on your system, scan it to be sure your data is clean

#5. Change all passwords immediately.

#6. PAY FOR YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!

Downloading off those sites you were on.... You know all about that now