Question My Laptop is suddenly slow to start up

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Recently, my HP Pavilion laptop became slow to boot all of a sudden. I haven't changed any of my startup programs, and I'm not sure if an update was applied before this. My login screen becomes laggy, and sometimes I have to press keys a few times to be able to input my password. Logging in is also slow; my programs take awhile to start.

Here are a list of things I have tried:
  1. chkdsk - No errors were found.
  2. DISM
  3. System File Checker (sfc) - it always ended up getting stuck at "beginning system scan. ..."
  4. Disabling a few startup programs and services
List of things I was suggested to try but haven't yet:
  1. System Restore (I'm seeing two critical update restore points)
  2. Safe boot
  3. Refreshing Windows - I haven't tried this yet due to the possibly painstaking process of backing up some AppData, which I'm not yet ready for.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Affiliate1646

Last edited:

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Oh yes the first thing; my bad. I would certainly try some restore points; hopefully you have you have configured System Restore as by default it is not enabled. As far as a reset, I have seldom seen this fix an issue.
Really? Well, in my case, System Restore was already enabled for my laptop it seems.
And as for resetting, I have heard a few cases where it has fixed problems with some computers... shrugs

Maybe due to overloading of files, or maybe you are using outdated or fake windows
Nah, I don't think my installation of Windows is fake....

Affiliate1646

Prominent
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all, again. Sorry for the sudden silence and thread neglect. I have an update:
  1. I tried DISM and sfc again - no luck.
  2. I did eventually try system restore, however I might have been a little too late (so I tried the earliest one). The restore point from last month for the critical update was deleted - probably to save space.
  3. I tried booting into safe mode, and that was very slow.
  4. I did a little more in-depth test of my Hard Drive (with a tool in a linux environment) and confirmed that it is NOT the cause/failing.
  5. I brought my computer into a geek center after trying everything I could think of and it was determined that I need to reset/reinstall Windows. Likely my installation of Windows was corrupted, and I have no idea how or what caused it. This was my last resort/idea - I was hoping not to resort to this point, but the folks at the center confirmed that this is what I have to do.
  6. My laptop has gradually gotten slower. Apps take longer to initialize and perform worse. For whatever reason, the laptop is no longer hibernating properly when the lid is closed now. I am often met with a fresh boot with the laptop still on once the lid is opened again.
Not looking forward to this.