My laptop keeps rebooting all of a sudden

lonelyknight

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
This problem appeared a few months ago, and seems to trigger randomly: sometimes it takes weeks to see it happen, while sometimes I face it over a hundred times a week, even rebooting in the middle of a booting... Troublesome. Just to be specific: I am talking about a sudden shut off of the computer followed seconds later by my computer rebooting. Not the 'normal' reboot function of the computer, obviously. It mostly happens during games, but sometimes it has happened while simply surfing the web.

In the Windows event viewer, these problems appear as 'critical'. EventID 41, Provider: Kernel Power. More details:

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

My first instinct has been a overheat problem and I have thus dedusted my laptop as much as possible. The ventilator seems to work perfectly now, but the CPU heat (from Core Temp) remains quite high: between 60 and 70° (C) for just surfing on the web, and very quickly 80-90° as soon as I launch a game. My Tj Max is set at 100°, so I could imagine the temperature reaching this level during the game. Anyway, if heat is the problem, I wouldn't think it is a hardware problem or then I have no idea what I could do more: I really have dedusted it as much as possible, and even bought a dedicated cooling support to put it on.

But then again, I am not entirely sure it is a heating problem, as sometimes it seems to happen when the heat is really low: could it be something else? A faulty RAM? A malware? A problem with the battery or the charger?

I already read and tried a lot, but nothing seemed to work. My latest attempt: I've updated all my drivers. Didn't work. Any idea?

My specs:

MSI GT683DX-640NE
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
6GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
GeForce GTX 570M

lonelyknight

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
On a laptop with a Tj Max of 100°, I'd think around 80-85° while playing games is ok. But yeah, it is still too hot currently indeed. But why and how can I lower the temperature then?

lonelyknight

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Yes, it's C. But I know the acceptable temperature varies from one computer to the other, and for laptops it is way higher than for a desktop computer. Maybe your temperatures are based on the latter?

Laytonoid

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Upon researching your CPU. Your maximum temp is indeed 100C. Are you playing Battlefield 4 by chance? I always got that same error on desktop when I had a GTX 660. Upon looking online, it appears some people with nvidia GPU's have the same critical error.

lonelyknight

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
No, it's not related to a specific game. It mostly happens during games (in general), but sometimes it even happens while surfing the web, or even during a reboot... Pretty random.

lonelyknight

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Well, it just happened and it doesn't seem to be related to heat at all: I was checking the temp at the exact moment it rebooted, it was around 80° so way below the Tj Max.

lonelyknight

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
New clues: the problem is yet to occur when the laptop runs on battery, but it has occurred with the laptop running without the battery though. So the battery cannot be at fault here, but the charger might? Is it possible the charger could cause this kind of problem?