Question My laptop keeps shutting itself off while I'm gaming.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
About 6 months ago I bought a laptop (Gigabyte G5 KC-5US1130SH for exact specs and model). I've had no problems with it whatsoever. It game with a pre-installed program that allows me to boost my fan speeds to the maximum which I do anytime I play a game that is demanding for my PC.

Recently since I've started playing Elden Ring my entire PC will shut off randomly. No error messages. Nothing but a full blank out. I've tried my best to monitor temps with OpenHardwareMonitor on my second monitor while playing anything but never notice temps above 80-85C.

At first I thought this may be an Elden Ring problem and went asking for help from people who knew about the game and EasyAntiCheat causing crashes, etc, but every fix I got didn't work.

Then, today, my PC crashed again while playing a 8bit game Core Keeper. This game isn't demanding WHATSOEVER and I'm VERY confused as to why it crashed. I'm almost certain it is not a temperature issue, though I'm going to apply more thermal paste in a few days just in case. I also downloaded my latest BIOS update so I know it isn't a BIOS issue.

Every crash displays the same information saying windows has stopped working, nothing else. Any ideas?

I'm almost certain it is not a temperature issue
what makes you almost sure?
are you actually keeping an eye on system temps while gaming and up until these shutdowns occur?
Every crash displays the same information saying windows has stopped working
normally a crash due to temperature wouldn't offer any OS error message.
just a hard crash.
and that would mean it is the GPU that is overheating because the CPU would just throttle and downclock til it reached a safer temperature.

i would first guess that it is an issue with Windows.
watch your CPU and memory usage while in these games up until another crash occurs.
also check any crash log for any information that stands out.

linxxln

Prominent
Mar 12, 2022
What makes me believe it isn't a temperature issue is when I use a program to monitor the temperatures, I never notice them reaching temperatures above 85C ever (while gaming and using discord, also streaming the game sometimes through discord), and I've seen it crash when only in the 80 range.
My memory usually sits at about 10-13GB being used of my 16. Idk if that is bad.

May 23, 2022
I have a Gigabyte G5 KC i5-10500H, RTX 3060, 32GB RAM and they definitely do run HOT when gaming (more the CPU rather than the GPU)!

What temps are you monitoring? Is it the CPU or GPU?

My memory usually sits at about 10-13GB being used of my 16. Idk if that is bad.
I would definitely considering upgrading your RAM to 32GB!
My old laptop with 16GB used to bottleneck when I played DayZ which isn't graphically demanding at all but it is quite buggy and it would always max out my RAM and would be unplayable after about 5-10 minutes of gameplay and crash.

PC will shut off randomly. No error messages.
Have you checked Event Viewer>Windows Logs>Application? You might find some information in there regarding the crash. Just look for the red icon logs titled "Error".

If you're worried about temps at all, you should try Undervolting CPU and/or GPU. I use ThrottleStop to run a stable -75mV offset on the CPU and tweaking the PL1 and PL2 limits, allowing the CPU to stay cooler without much performance loss at all.