[SOLVED] My laptop makes a lot of noise!pls help

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
ok so I have a hp pavilion g6 with a and Radeon hd 7670m, 3rd gen i7 and 8gb ram.
Now this is a old laptop but it makes a whole lot of noise and no one in whole of tom's hardware would have experienced that noise. So can you tell me anyway I can fix it? This is not a laptop that makes noise when you do a lot fo work or put stress on the cpu but it starts making noise the minute I turn it on. So is the answer "it is a old laptop" or are there any ways I can use to cool it?

Solution
You have several options:

1. Live with the noise. But, expect that the fan will eventually stop altogether .
Whenever that happens, do something.

2. Take it to a repair shop. I do not think HP will offer such a service, but you could try.
Obviously, the process is labor intensive. Plan on $100 or more.

3. If it is old, perhaps it is time to replace the laptop, regardless.

4. Take another stab at replacing the fan. The fan itself may only be $10 or so.
Buy one ahead of time.
Look at various youtube tutorials on the process. If anything breaks, not much is lost since a laptop without a working fan is useless. On the plus side, there is great satisfaction if you can fix it yourself.
What kind of noise do you hear?
I can think of three sources:
  1. The cooling fan is defective or touching some part. Since the noise happens at startup, it would not be the normal high rpm you would see under load.
  2. If you are using a hard drive. the hdd could be defective. Time to replace with a ssd regardless.
  3. A dvd drive can make some noise regardless if it is loaded or not.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
What kind of noise do you hear?
I can think of three sources:
  1. The cooling fan is defective or touching some part. Since the noise happens at startup, it would not be the normal high rpm you would see under load.
  2. If you are using a hard drive. the hdd could be defective. Time to replace with a ssd regardless.
  3. A dvd drive can make some noise regardless if it is loaded or not.
yes my laptop has hdd and the noise is like an actual fan(the fan we turn on for air) and I am sure it is because of the fan. My father did try to disassemble the laptop but he was successful till the part where he took the back panel, ram, HDD but he figured out that the laptop was going to break if he tries to remove the keyboard(that's the way you disassemble the laptop ) so he stopped.

1. Live with the noise. But, expect that the fan will eventually stop altogether .

2. Take it to a repair shop. I do not think HP will offer such a service, but you could try.

4. Take another stab at replacing the fan. The fan itself may only be $10 or so.
Buy one ahead of time.
Look at various youtube tutorials on the process. If anything breaks, not much is lost since a laptop without a working fan is useless. On the plus side, there is great satisfaction if you can fix it yourself.

Solution

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021

Buy one ahead of time.
this is not my main laptop so I guess I will do experiments with this(software experiments)